You are not logged in.

#26 2021-08-03 11:26

quoyle84

Re: Q4OS Windows install not booting after restart in windows

is this what you are looking for?...

diskman.jpg

Last edited by quoyle84 (2021-08-03 11:27)

#27 2021-08-03 12:09

quoyle84

update: after posting the details of the drive scan yesterday, i did the restart and continued into windows, assuming that everything was as before with root.disk being deleted. i never tried to reboot into q4os nor did i check debian folder. however later i did look into the debian folder and was surprised to find that root.disk was NOT deleted! i immediately rebooted into q4os and it ran perfectly. i used it the rest of the evening. so now i have to question whether using the shorter method of just using the check drive scan (chkdsk) without maintenance scan will reliably delete the root.disk in every instance.
when i restarted to do the repair on C drive it gave every indication it was doing that before booting into windows. i am wondering if the repair fixed what was seen as errors without deleting the root.disk? and now i wonder again if running the maintenance scan is the only way to reliably cause the issue to occur. i will leave things as they are and wait a few days to see if i get the notice to restart to repair. very confusing...

#28 2021-08-03 12:30

Tolkem

quoyle84 wrote:

is this what you are looking for?...

https://i.postimg.cc/MH3Vz5Vw/diskman.jpg

Yes, and not exactly, I was hoping to see where Q4OS is placed there, but I can't see it, was it installed when you took the screenshot? It's just a hunch, but those chkdsk errors might have to do something with wrong disk alignment.

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-08-03 12:30)

#29 2021-08-03 13:33

quoyle84

yes q4os was installed. but it installed in windows as a program, not in a separate partition. it is on the C drive but i don't know how you could see it...

#30 2021-08-03 14:00

Tolkem

quoyle84 wrote:

yes q4os was installed. but it installed in windows as a program, not in a separate partition. it is on the C drive but i don't know how you could see it...

I see. Didn't know that, since I've never used that installer. I have Q4OS installed alongside Windows 7(and 2 other Linux distros). I know this is not what you're asking, nor that it solves the issue, but you won't consider installing it in a different partition? After all, you do have to reboot to get to Q4OS, right? So, dual-booting might be a better option. Just a thought. smile

#31 2021-08-03 19:02

quoyle84

Thanks, i have thought about doing that but have read were several people have issues where things go wrong and they can't boot into one system or another. i think, depending on whether windows decides if my current laptop is eligible for windows 11 or not will be a deciding factor in what i do next. if not eligible i most likely would just delete windows and install linux.

#32 2021-08-04 10:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We have created a new bug report, please post any related findings there:
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3697
https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/163/

#33 2021-08-04 18:14

Midas

Instructions for installing Q4OS in so-called loop devices would be highly appreciated -- for one advantage, it would do away with the need to use the Windows installer...

#34 2021-08-05 09:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Midas
It's a really complicated procedure, anyway you can follow WubiUefi https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi , it's essentially the same loop image file setup.

#35 2021-08-05 09:07

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@quoyle84
You can also try WubiUefi installation https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi . It would be really helpful for comparison, if you post back a result of Windows maintenance and C:\ drive check in Windows as discussed above.

#36 2021-08-07 12:17

Midas

Thanks for clarifying that, q4osteam.

Do you happen to be able to provide successful settings for wubiuefi use? My past tests were all unsuccessful...

#37 2021-08-07 17:32

quoyle84

an update on my reinstallation: on monday i reinstalled q4os winsetup and ran maintenance scan afterward. errors were found, rebooted into windows to repair errors, and then afterward for some reason q4os booted up. i decided to use the second desktop profile when i had reinstalled and have been slowly adding applications day by day. each day i checked the result of the automatic maintenance scan and there were no reports of errors. now, all of a sudden, on saturday morning (5 days after reinstall) i have received a notification "restart to repair drive errors". i am now wondering if the amount of applications installed have some bearing on what sets off the error notification. i don't know how all this works but i am guessing as i install applications the size of the debian folder is changing. maybe when it reaches a certain point possible errors are detected. i just thought i would pass this on as it may be a clue to someone more knowledgeable than me about what might be going on.

#38 2021-08-20 22:47

Midas

Midas wrote:

Instructions for installing Q4OS in so-called loop devices would be highly appreciated.

Trying to answer my own query, a while ago I came across a tutorial for this on Github.

It's a little over my head and I'm still trying to fully grok it -- meanwhile, here it is just in case someone else is interested:

#39 2021-12-14 19:30

Krystek

Hi, there. I found this topic Google'ing to solve the same problem. I have Q4OS installed under Win 10 partition from Windows installer (Q4OS - version 4.6 R1). I've installed it almost 2 months ago. Files root.disk and swap.disk files are on C:\debian11 folder and they have size as user quoyle84 mentioned on post #4 in this tread (root.disk = 22,265,856 kb, swap.disk = 1,228,800 kb) (unfortunately, I cannot post links in forum posts). Of course, I have error message when I try to boot Q4OS from BIOS/UEFI boot menu, choosing Q4OS. Is it possible to reuse those root.disk and swap.disk files and revive system under Win 10? Or I have lost downloaded files, files on desktop etc. in Q4OS?

#40 2021-12-31 14:50

quoyle84

Hi Krystek, Unfortunately the root.disk files is probably gone. i have tried various methods to prevent this from happening but all have failed so far. i changed a setting in windows so that the disc isn't automatically scanned so as to prevent windows from tagging the root.disk as an error. once it sees the file it performs a disk repair and afterwards the root.disk is gone. my setting change was working until a recent windows update. when i had to restart the computer i noticed it went through a disk check procedure and said it was correcting errors. afterward i checked and the root.disk was gone again. until i can figure a way to stop disk check from running automatically and deleting the files, i see no way to have q4os stay on my machine without the files being deleted. it becomes frustrating after having built up a whole desktop with apps etc i use only to have to start again from scratch. i do not know how many others are having this issue. it may be brand specific, i don't know. if anyone out there has any ideas on how to stop checkdisk from auto running, that would help.

#41 2021-12-31 17:21

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@quoyle84
Yes, we can confirm this issue, see https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3923

#42 2021-12-31 18:05

quoyle84

Thank you for the info. that has been my exact experience after several experiments trying to find a workaround. i would sometimes run at weeks for a time with no issues after i had changed the setting to stop the auto disc scans in the windows maintenance feature. but then it seems like it is doing a scan as part of the update reboot sequence for which i know of no option to shut that off.

#43 2021-12-31 20:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

A workaround could be just copy/backup the root.disk file and restore it as soon as Windows remove the active root.disk file. Please post back a result, if possible.

#44 2022-01-01 05:59

quoyle84

i tried that and for some reason i was not allowed to copy the root.disk. i have no idea why...

#45 2022-01-01 17:27

quoyle84

i'm wondering if creating another partition on hard drive and installing q4os on that instead of c drive would work. i'm wondering if chkdsk only scans c drive. if this is so, then it might not delete root.disk. however, i do not know if q4os will work if installed in another partition as it is  acting as a windows program.
so my questions are:
will q4os run if installed on a different partition than c?
will the boot menu appear when booting computer to make choice between windows or q4os
any thoughts on these ideas would be appreciated
thanks

#46 2022-01-01 18:01

mikeh1949

I copied the root.disk file to a USB hard drive from Windows.  I tried from q4os to my network storage; it seemed to start (no error message) but was taking forever so I cancelled. 

You can definitely put q40s on a separate partition and have a boot menu to choose which OS to start.  I've done this with other Linux flavors which set up the boot menu automatically.  I think they also do the partitioning.  You can do this manually, but it's not plug and play, needs some tech comfort and instructions.  Others with more knowledge and experience should comment on this.

#47 2022-01-01 18:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You don't need an external media, nor network share. The most easy way is to backup the "root.disk" file in the same directory alongside the original one, just with another name, or suffix. As soon as Windows remove the original file, you only need to rename, or copy, the backed up one as "root.disk". The backup could look something like this

c:\debian11\disks\root.disk.bck
quoyle84 wrote:

i'm wondering if creating another partition on hard drive and installing q4os on that instead of c drive would work.

Of course, it will work.

Board footer