You are not logged in.

#76 2019-04-24 10:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Jaerrib wrote:

Are you wanting all of those updated?

No, it's only an informative list of all icons of control panel folders. You are welcome to check the overall look and make a decision what icons to update.

#77 2019-04-25 00:37

Jaerrib
Website

Update:
- Renamed tde_components.svg to blockdevice.svg
- Renamed input-actions.svg to khotkeys.svg

These changes should fix the TDE Components icon on the Control Panel and make Control Panel>Accessibility>Input Actions use the updated icon.

#78 2019-05-03 16:05

Rademes

Can you use Linux MintY theme icons? It is from Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia XFCE.

Last edited by Rademes (2019-05-03 16:10)

Attachments:
png MintY_Icons_256.png, Size: 199.65 KiB, Downloads: 591

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#79 2019-05-08 01:41

Jaerrib
Website

Rademes wrote:

Can you use Linux MintY theme icons? It is from Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia XFCE.

That might be a question for the Q4OS team. There was also a suggestion for Papirus over on another thread. On most desktop environments, I don't think either of those would be a problem. However, Trinity has some unique applications and/or icons and tends to fall back on crystalsvg. This is what led to my working on tweaking a lot of those TDE specific icons to try to blend in with the overall look of the Debonaire/Paper-Q4OS icon theme.

#80 2019-05-08 12:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Adapting an icon set, for example "MintY", for Trinity is a kind of heavy task. We have chosen the "Paper" icon theme as a base for the Debonaire theme to adapt it and expand for TDE desktop. The task has taken quite significant progress also thanks to Jaerrib considerable work and contributions. We want to stay on this road at the moment and polish Debonaire/Paper-Q4OS theme as much as possible.

#81 2019-05-27 08:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Jaerrib
We have checked the recent updates in the repository and made new q4os-paper-icons 3.3.2 release. There are a few glitches though.
"kuser.svg" - shows incorrectly in TDE
"tdmconfig.svg" - shows incorrectly in TDE, maybe should be a symlink to "kuser", but it doesn't ?
"system-file-manager.svg" - should be a symlink to "konqueror" ? Is it used for some shorcut in TDE ?
"blockdevice.svg" - The icon doesn't match to a blockdevice quite well.

#82 2019-05-27 15:04

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

@Jaerrib
We have checked the recent updates in the repository and made new q4os-paper-icons 3.3.2 release. There are a few glitches though.
"tdmconfig.svg" - shows incorrectly in TDE, maybe should be a symlink to "kuser", but it doesn't ?
"system-file-manager.svg" - should be a symlink to "konqueror" ? Is it used for some shorcut in TDE ?

I'll look into all of those and post any changes here as well as the Github repo.

#83 2019-05-27 22:48

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

@Jaerrib

- I see what you mean with the "kuser.svg" icon. It completely loses the heads on the people! I'll see what's going on with it and upload a fix.

- "tdmconfig.svg" is supposed to be a replacement for the Login Manager icon displayed under Control Panel > System Administration
control_panel2.png

- Among other things, the "system-file-manager.svg" symlink to Konqueror should, in theory, fix a couple different bugged icon references such as the one below. (It's been a little while since I uploaded those files so I could be wrong though.)
menu.png

- I agree that the "blockdevice.svg" icon does not match a blockdevice very well. From what I understood from a previous post, the TDE Components icon in the Control Panel points to that file. I was going for something that fit Trinity more. I can mimic the existing icon in a vector format if that is preferred.
control_panel1.png

Last edited by Jaerrib (2019-05-27 23:01)

#84 2019-06-04 02:47

Jaerrib
Website

I uploaded the fix for kuser.svg/tdmconfig.svg so that the Login Manager icon shows up properly in the TDE Control Panel.
control_panel3.png

#85 2019-06-05 10:21

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks for that, tdmconfig looks right now, however we would still need to fix a few glitches:

1. "kuser.svg", "tdmconfig.svg" - Icons differs, kuser looks to stay in the old version still. We assume the intention is the two icons should be identical. We would suggest to make kuser the full copy, and tdmconfig a symbolic link to kuser for the time being. For a future, It would be nice to design tdmconfig completely different from kuser.

2. "system-file-manager.svg" - may be a symbolic link, it should point to "konqueror", right ? But It doesn't.

3. "scalable" and "64x64" dirs differs now, it's most likely a glitch ? We would suggest to copy the current "scalable" to "64x64", and subsequently do "scalable" removal, as it's not needed anymore.

4. "blockdevice.svg" - Would you draft a brand new design ? You could get an inspiration from a blockdevice icon from other icons sets.

#86 2019-06-06 00:37

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

Thanks for that, tdmconfig looks right now, however we would still need to fix a few glitches:

1. "kuser.svg", "tdmconfig.svg" - Icons differs, kuser looks to stay in the old version still. We assume the intention is the two icons should be identical. We would suggest to make kuser the full copy, and tdmconfig a symbolic link to kuser for the time being. For a future, It would be nice to design tdmconfig completely different from kuser.

2. "system-file-manager.svg" - may be a symbolic link, it should point to "konqueror", right ? But It doesn't.

3. "scalable" and "64x64" dirs differs now, it's most likely a glitch ? We would suggest to copy the current "scalable" to "64x64", and subsequently do "scalable" removal, as it's not needed anymore.

4. "blockdevice.svg" - Would you draft a brand new design ? You could get an inspiration from a blockdevice icon from other icons sets.

1. It appears that "kuser.png" and "kuser.svg" both exist with the first being preferred by the DE. "tdmconfig.svg" is set up as a symlink to "kuser.svg" which is probably why it's displaying properly. I could modify "kuser.png" to be a single abstract person instead of the two used by "tdmconfig.svg" and make them entirely separate icons.

2. I had forgotten what I was trying to link to when I uploaded the symlink. After some digging, I found that "system-file-manager" is the icon used for whatever the default file manager is. In hindsight, it's probably best that it doesn't automatically use the icon for Konqueror since, outside of TDE, it's likely that another file manager would be the default.

3. I can certainly address the 64x64 and scalable directories to sort that out. I would also like to suggest that the entire icon theme should uploaded to Github with changes being made on a branch. Currently, icons get uploaded and then some sort of magic happens before the changes get processed for inclusion in Q4OS. We may get more contributors if the process were more transparent. Since they wouldn't necessarily fit the theme itself, I could migrate my drafts to my own directory and the logo drafts previously contributed could be migrated to the branding repo.

4. Please see my draft below. It's basically a flatter interpretation of the crystalsvg icon (left side) in the same way I adapted the TDEPowersave icons.
blockdevice-draft1.png

Last edited by Jaerrib (2019-06-06 02:06)

#87 2019-06-06 09:46

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

4. Excellent. You could also consider a slight adjusting of colorization to fit the icon in the flat Paper theme.

3. There are some differences between 64x64 and scalable, why ? Is it an intention ?

du -h scalable/
4.0K    scalable/mimetypes
8.0K    scalable/places
172K    scalable/actions
316K    scalable/apps
20K     scalable/devices
524K    scalable/
du -h 64x64/
8.0K    64x64/places
172K    64x64/actions
368K    64x64/apps
20K     64x64/devices
572K    64x64/

2. What would you suggest to do with the "system-file-manager.svg" then ?

Jaerrib wrote:

... "tdmconfig.svg" is set up as a symlink to "kuser.svg"...

It is not. See the code block:

ls -lh 48x48/apps/kuser.svg 48x48/apps/tdmconfig.svg
6.2K Jun  4 12:07 kuser.svg
7.6K Apr 26 09:18 tdmconfig.svg

Why do "tdmconfig.svg" and "kuser.svg" differ, is it an intention ?

Jaerrib wrote:

It appears that "kuser.png" and "kuser.svg" both exist with the first being preferred by the DE.

No, the only "kuser.png" exists in the official Q4OS-Paper icon set. We cannot publish "kuser.svg" (to replace the .png icon), as it is not displaying correctly in TDE (loosing heads).

Jaerrib wrote:

I could modify "kuser.png" to be a single abstract person instead of the two used by "tdmconfig.svg" and make them entirely separate icons.

That would be great, please do so, if time permits. In addition the kuser.svg could be distinguished by a colorization too.

------------------------

Jaerrib wrote:

I would also like to suggest that the entire icon theme should uploaded to Github with changes being made on a branch. Currently, icons get uploaded and then some sort of magic happens before the changes get processed for inclusion in Q4OS.

Yes, it's an interesting idea, we will think about if and possibly how to set a repository up and let you know in time. In the meantime, we will continue to maintain the current repository. The magic you noted is simple and quite transparent. We test and process new icons for something like QA, and if approved, they are included into the official "Paper-Q4OS" icons and subsequently published.

------------------------

Sorry for bothering you with the details, we just need to keep the repository glitch free and to make sure what is intention and what could be a bug. Thanks for your patience and the great work.

#88 2019-06-07 01:56

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

4. Excellent. You could also consider a slight adjusting of colorization to fit the icon in the flat Paper theme.

Here are a few possible color variants:
blockdevice-draft2.pngblockdevice-draft3.pngblockdevice-draft4.png

q4osteam wrote:

3. There are some differences between 64x64 and scalable, why ? Is it an intention ?

Not sure why there are differences; certainly not intentional. I thought I had made a copy of my scalable directory and just renamed it to 64x64. I could also have been tinkering with something afterwards (which is partly why I suggested doing the development on a separate branch.)

q4osteam wrote:

2. What would you suggest to do with the "system-file-manager.svg" then ?

We could simply continue to use the original file from the Paper theme and remove the symlink to Konqueror. Most of my efforts have been in consideration of Trinity since there were some gaps that I didn't see under Plasma. I was mainly thinking of Konqueror being the default on a new installation. Someone choosing to install Xfce might be using Thunar so a Konqueror icon wouldn't make sense, but a generic folder icon works in all cases.

q4osteam wrote:

Jaerrib wrote:

... "tdmconfig.svg" is set up as a symlink to "kuser.svg"...

It is not. See the code block:

ls -lh 48x48/apps/kuser.svg 48x48/apps/tdmconfig.svg
6.2K Jun  4 12:07 kuser.svg
7.6K Apr 26 09:18 tdmconfig.svg

Why do "tdmconfig.svg" and "kuser.svg" differ, is it an intention ?

"tdmconfig.svg" should have been the symlink and pointed to the original kuser.svg icon I uploaded. A couple days ago I uploaded a fix for kuser.svg which addressed the disappearing head bug. That might be why the timestamps differ. (I also apparently messed up my something else with the version of tdmconfig.svg on the repo itself...I will fix all of that when we decide on the kuser/system-user icon.)

Along the same lines, it looks like kuser.png is a symlink to system-user.png. I would like to suggest to use the 2 person blue/green icon for tdmconfig rather than any sort of symlink and use a new icon for system-user which kuser would then symlink to. The system-user icon would likely be used elsewhere so the change should be the "upstream" icon so to speak.

q4osteam wrote:

No, the only "kuser.png" exists in the official Q4OS-Paper icon set. We cannot publish "kuser.svg" (to replace the .png icon), as it is not displaying correctly in TDE (loosing heads).

You are correct. I forgot that I've modified my installation of Q4OS-Paper which is why I had two variants. I'll start from a clean base and test elsewhere to avoid confusion in the future. Regarding the head issue, did you check my recent upload? I've tested it on my machine, which is where the earlier screenshot came from. I will however, reupload the files under the correct tdmconfig.svg file name so that we move forward with a dedicated kuser/system-user icon.

q4osteam wrote:

That would be great, please do so, if time permits. In addition the kuser.svg could be distinguished by a colorization too.

How about this?
system-users.png

q4osteam wrote:

Yes, it's an interesting idea, we will think about if and possibly how to set a repository up and let you know in time. In the meantime, we will continue to maintain the current repository. The magic you noted is simple and quite transparent. We test and process new icons for something like QA, and if approved, they are included into the official "Paper-Q4OS" icons and subsequently published.

No disrespect intended for the current process. Thanks for considering having the full icon theme available on a repo.

q4osteam wrote:

Sorry for bothering you with the details, we just need to keep the repository glitch free and to make sure what is intention and what could be a bug. Thanks for your patience and the great work.

No worries! smile Q4OS helped solved my distro hopping problem so it's my pleasure to be able to contribute.

Last edited by Jaerrib (2019-06-07 02:01)

#89 2019-06-09 09:27

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks, based on the info above, we would ask you to perform following changes to the repository, as time permits:

1. The one person icon should be ok. However we would rather use the one-person icon for tdmconfig and keep the two-pesrsons original for kuser.

2. Remove the system-file-manager.svg.

3. Fix it in the repo.

4. The second and third draft looks good, make a selection by your preference and create the icon.

Would you agree so ?

#90 2019-06-09 20:54

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

Thanks, based on the info above, we would ask you to perform following changes to the repository, as time permits:

1. The one person icon should be ok. However we would rather use the one-person icon for tdmconfig and keep the two-pesrsons original for kuser.

2. Remove the system-file-manager.svg.

3. Fix it in the repo.

4. The second and third draft looks good, make a selection by your preference and create the icon.

Would you agree so ?

1. The one-person icon is now tdmconfig. The two-person icon has been uploaded as system-users.svg since kuser.svg is actually a symlink to that file anyway. The old kuser icon was removed.

2. I removed the system-file-manager icon.

3. Removed the 64x64 folder and just renamed the scalable folder to 64x64.

4. Uploaded the new blockdevice icon (based on the second draft).

For simplicity's sake, I forked the repo to make all the changes and submitted a pull request. That way you can look things over before merging

Last edited by Jaerrib (2019-06-09 20:54)

#91 2019-06-09 22:33

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

All above seems to be fixed, great deal. We made a couple of additional minor fixes in the last commit, see https://github.com/q4os/gui-art/commit/ … 557016431c

Nonetheless, there is a glitch regarding new icons:
tdmconfig.svg + blockdevice.svg - icons look fine, they have a proper "margin" (or whitespace) for 16x16 size, but too tiny for larger sizes up to 128. You can check for ex. "system-users.svg" or "xorg.svg" as a template.

See below for "margin" definition:
qg0018.png

#92 2019-06-09 22:40

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

All above seems to be fixed, great deal. We made a couple of additional minor fixes in the last commit, see https://github.com/q4os/gui-art/commit/ … 557016431c

Nonetheless, there a glitch regarding new icons:
tdmconfig.svg + blockdevice.svg - icons look fine, they have a proper "margin" (or whitespace) for 16x16 size, but too tiny for larger sizes up to 128. You can check for ex. "system-users.svg" or "xorg.svg" as a template.

Thanks for the merge. The icons that are not generally square or circular in nature (like the ones you mentioned) sometimes need to be slightly larger to appear "correct" next to some of the others. That said, I can adjust as needed if you'd like.

*** UPDATE ***
I uploaded the changes to the two icons you specified on all variations larger than 16x16 and submitted a pull request.

Last edited by Jaerrib (2019-06-10 02:32)

#93 2019-06-10 07:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

It seems to be perfect now, we are going to merge all the changes with the official icon set. Thanks smile

#94 2019-06-11 07:53

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jaerrib wrote:

The icons that are not generally square or circular in nature (like the ones you mentioned) sometimes need to be slightly larger to appear "correct" next to some of the others.

Yes, you are right. We will need to check all icons and make some slight size modifications, however we put that task on hold.

#95 2019-06-11 10:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jaerrib wrote:

I would also like to suggest that the entire icon theme should uploaded to Github with changes being made on a branch.

A suggestion only, please give your opinion.
As Paper icon set for Q4OS is a project, that exceeds Q4OS itself, it can be used more general for any distro with Trinity and/or Plasma. It would be helpful for us, if you would create and maintain the project at GHub on your own. We would support this project, and use it as closely as possible for building the "q4os-paper-icons" package. That would be helpful for us, as well as for anyone else who would want to contribute from outside of Q4OS. If you would like this idea, you only need to extract the "q4os-paper-icons" package, create a git repository, name it as desirable, and register at GitHub.

#96 2019-06-12 02:27

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:
Jaerrib wrote:

I would also like to suggest that the entire icon theme should uploaded to Github with changes being made on a branch.

A suggestion only, please give your opinion.
As Paper icon set for Q4OS is a project, that exceeds Q4OS itself, it can be used more general for any distro with Trinity and/or Plasma. It would be helpful for us, if you would create and maintain the project at GHub on your own. We would support this project, and use it as closely as possible for building the "q4os-paper-icons" package. That would be helpful for us, as well as for anyone else who would want to contribute from outside of Q4OS. If you would like this idea, you only need to extract the "q4os-paper-icons" package, create a git repository, name it as desirable, and register at GitHub.

I would be happy to maintain the project. As for a name, would you prefer to continue using q4os-paper-icons or use something else like debonaire (which would be distro agnostic for anyone else who might want to use it)?

#97 2019-06-12 08:39

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Great, we would be happy, if you take a control over the project. Again, we want support and contribute to the project as best as possible. The name shouldn't be tied to Q4OS, as the project should be more generic, for other distros too. We would also avoid to use "debonaire", as it's rather the Q4OS widget theme name. As the icon theme is forked from the Paper icon set, it could keep "paper" in its name, however you are free to name it however you want.

We are ready to provide an assistance on extracting "q4os-paper-icons" and creating the GHub repository., please ask here, if needed.

#98 2019-06-14 00:34

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

Great, we would be happy, if you take a control over the project. Again, we want support and contribute to the project as best as possible. The name shouldn't be tied to Q4OS, as the project should be more generic, for other distros too. We would also avoid to use "debonaire", as it's rather the Q4OS widget theme name. As the icon theme is forked from the Paper icon set, it could keep "paper" in its name, however you are free to name it however you want.

We are ready to provide an assistance on extracting "q4os-paper-icons" and creating the GHub repository., please ask here, if needed.

No issues extracting the files from the .deb package. Truth be told, trying to come up with a decent name is what's holding me up from creating the Github repo! The best I could come up with was Suave (as a synonym for "debonair") but that turned out to already exist as an icon set for iOS. Any ideas from the Q4OS team or community?

I appreciate the offer of support and welcome any contributions you want to make once everything is set up and ready to go. I'd be interested in learning about how to package the icon set for Debian as well. I can read over the documentation, of course, but any tips or suggestions would be appreciated since you obviously have experience with packaging.

#99 2019-06-14 08:46

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

What about "paperboard-icon-theme" or "crepe-icon-theme" ?

We are using Q4OS development pack tools for packaging, see the link below, however we would recommend you to use more generic Debian tools to simplify things for other contributors. The most basic is "dpkg-deb" command, please see a nice tutorial how to build a Debian package http://dbalakirev.github.io/2015/08/21/deb-pkg/
Packaging using Q4OS development pack - using these instructions you create the .esh as well as.deb package:
https://www.q4os.org/dqa009.html - "Easy way to create custom application installer"

You will also need to introduce a license for the project. As mainly Paper icons are used in the project, you need to license them under the "Creative commons" CC-SA-4.0, please read this https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ . Author wrote:
"When reusing this work please include a proper attribution:
"Paper Icons" by Sam Hewitt is licensed under CC-SA-4.0"

see https://github.com/snwh/paper-icon-theme
It should be enough to include a text file with the text above. It's also needed to state, that Deepin icons licensed under GPL v.3 are used alongside the Paper icons in the project.

#100 2019-06-14 23:59

Jaerrib
Website

Thanks for the licensing assistance. I'll be sure to include the relevant information when the repo goes up.

I came up with a few more naming suggestions with inspiration from the Paper icon theme: Cyperus, Vellum, Waterleaf. The first is the plant that papyrus is made from. Vellum is prepared animal skin (similar to parchment) used as a material for writing. Waterleaf is a specific type of vintage paper used for etching, monotypes, screenprint, and lithography. I kind of like waterleaf myself but I'm open to feedback.

Board footer