You are not logged in.

#26 2016-02-12 06:39

MC

Re: Need your feedback on Terminal vs Automated Installs & WinOS users

bobby wrote:

What applications should I add for easy install by new users ?

I would add gufw. Easy firewall setup for new users.

Q4OS running Xfce

#27 2016-02-12 15:08

DavidB
Website

How about adding a simple backup/recovery tool, like keep-trinity.  Or perhaps a note taking app, like KeepNote?

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#28 2016-02-12 20:15

bobby
Website

MC & DavidB, 

Thanks for suggestions. Really appreciate them as they are good ideas.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#29 2016-02-12 23:12

bobby
Website

MC & DavidB,

What about using Systemback LiveCD (DVD) iso burner for a backup utility? It has a cool debian jessie installer and it runs live & reinstall to hard drive for the whole boot partition. Only issue I have with it is it does not carry over the home folder which can be done by simply copying these files to another partition on the hard drive or to a USB Thumbdrive.

What about org-mode ?  it is in the Debian Jessie Repository and is a Noe + Planner program - used it by chance ?

KDE Sweeper also looks like a good choice for history, thumb cache, program clean-up ?

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-12 23:14)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#30 2016-02-12 23:43

MC

bobby wrote:

KDE Sweeper also looks like a good choice for history, thumb cache, program clean-up ?

Hi Bobby. If your target user base includes Windows refugees new to Linux, I would avoid ANY system cleaner apps. They can be quite aggressive if you don't know exactly what is being cleaned and why.

It's your call.

MC

Q4OS running Xfce

#31 2016-02-13 00:00

bobby
Website

Hi MC, very good point - Thanks !  I won't ad these utility / system tools to the installer. And, before I  recommend any to new users, I'll make sure there is a good tutorial available too.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#32 2016-02-13 02:55

DavidB
Website

Yeah, use what ever you think is best.  I just mentioned Keep because it was in the Trinity repository and it does have the capacity to do scheduled backups to external USB hard drives and such.  I don't back up to DVD or CDs anymore, as they no longer have the capacities that I require and I hate having to swap discs.

Any easy to use backup tool would be good to have for your Windows-friendly distro., as most people expect a backup utility as part of Windows now.

Never used org-mode before.  I took a quick look and it seems to be something for emacs. If so, I wouldn't think emacs would be something Windows users would like to use (it's not very elegant), but I'm probably wrong.

I like KeepNote.  It's simple, but functional, and looks like a typical TDE app.

Last edited by DavidB (2016-02-13 03:13)

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#33 2016-02-13 05:21

bobby
Website

DavidB, So right you are about backups being a necessity. I'll take a look at keep-trinity and its docs.  Today, most users are familiar with USB hard drive backups. Keep Note will be on the installer too as its simple - very usable.

Thanks, Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#34 2016-02-16 05:33

bobby
Website

These are the programs that the Q4 Automated Installer will have initially. 

Main Menu Installer Apps

Selections

• Install All Applications (listed below)

• gimp

• iceweasel

• ksnapshot

• k3b

• keepnote

• krecipies

• calligraflow

• xchat

• apache2

Sub-Menu Installer (for *.esh Q4OS Proprietary Install Executables)

• XPQ4

• SimpleScreenRecorder

Sub-Menu Installer (for custom install scripts)

• systemback

• palemoon

Mainly for Noobies and please suggest more. Thanks, Bobby

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-16 05:36)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#35 2016-02-17 01:02

bobby
Website

cc, I agree with you and MC on the utility programs. I would like to suggest that new users place all their data files under $HOME/Documents and back them manually; frequently.  Then as they are learning do some experimenting with these utility apps and blow Q4OS up; or break the package manager, etc. They just wipe their Q4OS install and copy their data back to $HOME/Documents.  The more experienced users can use Systemback to create a DVD backup image and run the Systemback Live Installer and restore their system. (IMO - Just my thoughts).

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#36 2016-02-17 04:01

bobby
Website

cc, Currently - at this stage I  will agree with you that a new user will not have a clue how to "Wipe their Q4OS Installation" but after the Q4 / XPLinux Automation they won't need think twice. It will be click --> Done. 

It will be a year in the making but, there are others who are helping me right now  to make it a reality. My Loyality is with Q4OS and when we are done, Q4OS will be known as the "Official XPLinux".

No Longer Using Q4OS

#37 2016-02-17 04:10

bobby
Website

What about xmms2.  Would Windows users relate to this WimAmp clone more so than other Audio Players ?

No Longer Using Q4OS

#38 2016-02-17 07:30

Seeker

Bobby@
Do you have any contacts? maybe we need to have a little chat a bit.
If data about what you ask I may have some valuable research data to share with you.
Especially Windows users softwares list demand data.

Last edited by Seeker (2016-02-17 08:45)

#39 2016-02-17 11:47

MC

bobby wrote:

What about xmms2.  Would Windows users relate to this WimAmp clone more so than other Audio Players ?

Yes, there is a large number of Windows user that like WinAmp. If you don't know this already, Audacious already has a multi-functional WinAmp interface that uses WinAmp skins and has 7 skins already installed.

audacious.png

I've never used xmms2, Audacious has always been my go-to music player, however, I don't use the WinAmp interface...it's too tiny for my old eyes. (insert-squinty-eye-smiley-here)

EDIT-----------------

Oh yeah, just curious. From your post #36 above, did you abandon the idea of gufw? Windows users are accustomed to a firewall already being installed up-and-running with Windows. I would bet most of the new Linux-curious users are blissfully unaware that they have to install it themselves and set it to run at every startup.

Last edited by MC (2016-02-17 12:01)

Q4OS running Xfce

#40 2016-02-17 12:33

Dai_trying

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic but xmms2 doesn't have a user interface, it is a command line audio player, I know there are a lot of gui's available that use xmms2 but if you just install xmms2 you will not even see a menu item for it and might therefore be confusing for windoze users.

Dai

#41 2016-02-17 13:01

Seeker

MC wrote:
bobby wrote:

Yes, there is a large number of Windows user that like WinAmp. If you don't know this already, Audacious already has a multi-functional WinAmp interface that uses WinAmp skins and has 7 skins already installed.

Yeah, just tell them about Audacious.
The rest matter is how stubborn is AIMP users willing to convert to Audacious.
I'm sure that old winamp users would get convince by Audacious & mirgrate to Linux easily.
But for AIMP users they'll refuse to change since
AIMP is the best among music players on windows & most skins supports.

#42 2016-02-18 04:29

bobby
Website

MC, Dai_trying, Seeker & cc, Thank You all for educating me on Audacious. See, I'm a noobie too ! smile   No xmms2 - Yes Audacious - And, MC - Yes to gufw firewall.

Now that the list of applications has grown to a point which appears to cover a lot of Windows user sought after functionality, I will start building tutorials. I will start off with building pages linking to current Application Websites;  Youtube Videos and Reviews done by reliable websites (boy, this one just might get me some hate email).

Seeker, please email me here and I reply with my personal email that is used only for development purposes. I am always interested in seeing data pertaining to use of software. As you can see in this thread, I am not familiar with Linux Software all that much.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#43 2016-02-18 06:30

bobby
Website

Feedback, Please,  as possible apps for Q4OS noobies,

• hexchat vs xchat

• shotwell  (photo manager)

• pinta  (WIndows paint like program)

• banshee  (Music Player 172MB)

• spotify (Live Streaming music to your computer)

• imagination (Make video slide shows exports to DVD vob format)

• kdenlive (video Editor)

• bombono (DVD authoring program)

• conky manager (I'm testing at this time)

• winff (video file converter)

• bleachbit  (cleanup linuxf/tmp/browser files)

• pithos (pandora station player)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#44 2016-02-18 06:40

bobby
Website

This is the only way to install conky-manager: (OR IS IT ?)

wget -O conky-manager-latest-amd64 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67740416/linux/ … 4.deb?dl=1

sudo gdebi conky-manager-latest-amd64.deb

(Its what I read on the Internet)

(Did not explain why I needed to use gbebi)

!! Okay, I am being sarcastic at this point.

Lets all work together to automate any and all app installs ?

What do you all say?

A Windows User very new to Linux will freak on something like this !  I know for a fact on this os true as "I FREAKED" for at least 1 month trying to install apps like this.  (Not Sarcastic - Its the truth)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#45 2016-02-18 06:43

bobby
Website

I was recently told at a Linux Group meeting in my area just last week that,

"If a person can't use the terminal they have no business making network changes to their computer".

The same could be said that noobies should not be installing apps to their computer.

My point here is simple and direct, This not an issue on Windows as all programs have an automated installer or they don't get installed by anyone.

Okay, my rant is done smile

No Longer Using Q4OS

#46 2016-02-18 09:57

Dai_trying

bobby wrote:

This is the only way to install conky-manager: (OR IS IT ?)

It looks that way from the website

bobby wrote:

(Did not explain why I needed to use gbebi)

You don't have to use gdebi but it is a gui for installing the package.

Hmmm.... should I have answered that last point? I missed the sarcasm until I wrote this... Oh well it is done now smile

I'm a lover of conky but have never used a manager for it, having said that it looks like it would help new users become familiar with it. And it might just be me, but I don't like installing stuff dl'd from a dropbox account. Others may think differently, I'm just more than a little cautious with dropbox and the like.

Dai

#47 2016-02-18 11:21

bobby
Website

@Dai_trying,  Sorry about the sarcasm smile

My understanding for using gdebi in the command terminal is to allow the installation of *.deb files locally. The other way to do it is to setup a local repository location (make directory on your computer) and add the local repository file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d

I agree with you about not wanting to install from a dropbox account. Its a bad idea.

So I have decided to host my own Repository (well - kinda) with every app I can get my hands on.

This should be help in the variable setting if all apps come from the same website.

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-18 11:22)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#48 2016-02-18 11:53

Dai_trying

repositories don't work as simple as that I'm afraid, you need to set up a few other things for apt to read a repo. So you cannot simply add a folder to sources.list. One tool I have used for hosting my own repository is aptly, It might be a little overkill for what you want to do, but I know it works and have used it to host debian repository on my local network to allow for offline (to internet) installations. It does use a LOT of disk space but as I was doing a lot if installations at the time it made things a lot quicker for me. Well after initial set up, which is not for the faint hearted smile

Dai

#49 2016-02-18 17:29

bobby
Website

@Dai_trying,  Thanks for clarifying about local repository. I am learning too and need to chill with my suggestions until I really check them out like I should. (bad bobby smile )

No Longer Using Q4OS

#50 2016-02-18 18:36

Dai_trying

You're welcome, and .deb files can be installed using dpkg too, although it doesn't resolve dependancies so usually have to run sudo apt-get install -f afterwards to get it done properly.

Dai

Board footer