You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-14 18:01

Chandler Gomez

Another bug in LXQT desktop (partially resolved).

Hello Q4OS users:

I install hplip-gui on Q4OS 2.4 with the LXQT desktop. I found a bug that is:
In the main menu when running HPLIP Toolbox to install my HP printer, the application does not run.
The solution I found is to run this command via the terminal: hp-toolbox. After this, the application if executed, but always by terminal and not through the main menu.

The LXQT desktop still has some bugs like those in a previous post. (https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1801)

Thanks for your possible answers.

#2 2017-10-14 23:20

Dai_trying

Re: Another bug in LXQT desktop (partially resolved).

If you search for the .desktop file for the program you are trying to run and either use cat to view it in a terminal (or whatever text editor you prefer) you can examine the line that starts Exec= as sometimes a package has an extra option that makes it fail to start from the menu (ocrfeeder is one that springs to mind). Editing the Exec line might make it start for you.
If you are unsure just post the Exec= line here and I will try to help. smile

#3 2017-10-14 23:58

crosscourt
Website

LXQT does still have some bugs as Ive used it with other distros and many oddities have occured, few serious but very annoying.
If you Google youll see reports from many distros on issues with LXQT.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2017-10-15 09:32

Dai_trying

I agree, LxQt is very much a "works in progress" but last time I was using it I quite liked the look and feel of it, I hope they continue to make it even better as I would definitely use it on some systems. smile

#5 2017-10-15 09:33

Chandler Gomez

Hello Dai_trying.

I have searched the .desktop and everything seems to be in order. I have run the applications from the / usr / share / applications directory and it works. It does not work when I run the application from the application menu. Here I write the exec line:
Exec = sh -c 'STARTED_FROM_MENU = yes / usr / bin / hp-toolbox' I have searched for the hp-toolbox executable in / usr / bin and it is not.

#6 2017-10-15 09:46

Dai_trying

It sounds like a problem with the path to the executable, if you type

which hp-toolbox

it will give you the path to the file, make sure that matches what is in the Exec line and change it if it doesn't. You could also try removing the sh -c "STARTED_FROM_MENU = yes part of the line to see if that helps, it looks like a simple bash variable being passed that shouldn't do any harm if removed. Exec would then become

Exec=/usr/bin/hp-toolbox

You could also create your own application startup icon for the desktop by right-clicking and selecting Create New -> Link to Application and then entering the details there.

Oh and just one more thing, when you start the application from a terminal do you use the command hp-toolbox? if it is some other command that would need to ba changed in the Exec line.

#7 2017-10-15 10:10

Chandler Gomez

Hello Dai_trying.

I have tried everything and the only solution I have found is to create an icon on the application desktop. On the desktop if it runs correctly. In the menu no.

Thanks for help.

#8 2017-10-15 10:21

Dai_trying

If you have created a desktop icon then you can simply copy the command used and paste it into the exec line (without any other text) and it should work without issue, as they are the same thing, the menu uses the same type of file to start the application (.desktop), ,but if you are happy with the desktop icon then solution achieved. smile

#9 2017-10-15 10:29

Chandler Gomez

The executable of the desktop and the menu have the same line. On the desktop if it works and through the application menu does not work.

#10 2017-10-15 12:25

Dai_trying

I have noticed the desktop files created have a slightly different Exec line (on my system at least) so you could try editing your menu desktop file to read

Exec[$e]=/path/to/executable

and see if that works.

#11 2017-10-15 14:46

Chandler Gomez

Hello.

I have noticed that in the path / usr / share / applications there are two executables of HPLIP ToolBox. One of them is called hplip.desktop and its exec line is Exec = sh -c 'STARTED_FROM_MENU = yes / usr / bin / hp-toolbox' The other executable is called hplip-kubuntu.desktop and its exec line is Exec = / usr / bin / hp-toolbox When running from / usr / share / applications or from a shortcut to the desktop if it works, the application menu does not work.

Board footer