You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-03 05:48

bobby
Website

Sharing Q4OS one ad at a time.

http://inlandempire.ebayclassifieds.com … d=42506944

If others would do this too, as I am limited on how many of these "I personally post" on any one system.

Craigslist auto remove will take out any ad that has a link in it  (they really suck).

Any suggestions where else I can post these ads to share Q4OS to get more people involved ?

$_5.JPG

Thanks,

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#2 2016-01-03 14:13

JimW

Re: Sharing Q4OS one ad at a time.

Bobby, if you have a paypal account you might sell cd's on ebay. Not for profit, just charge enough to replace the cd and cover mail costs. I haven't checked it out, but 99 cents plus postage? Just list it as a linux distro or even as a WinXP replacement. I think you can even put links to the Q4OS download pages and mention that they can download for free!
Don't know if the q4osteam would agree with this as it could cut into their sales. (which I assume is rather minor anyway, since many people are like us and download to install at no charge!)

#3 2016-01-03 17:12

bobby
Website

Hi JimW,  with the external links I place in my ads chances are that 9 of 10 people will just download and burn it themselves. So not many are going to order one. On ebay I have to put a price but, on classifieds I don't have to. I only charge them what my costs are. Then if they need help or teamviewer configuration done I would charge them a fee depending on what they needed done.

Its more about getting users to try Q4OS and not about making money. The money comes from clients who need assistance beyond just obtaining install CDs.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2016-01-03 18:03

JimW

That's why I said 99 cents plus shipping. Just to recover your costs, not to make money. Since Q4OS is free it wouldn't be right to try to make money selling something you got for free! smile
Maybe you could print out the tips and faqs and include with your cd's?

#5 2016-01-03 19:08

DavidB
Website

JimW wrote:

That's why I said 99 cents plus shipping. Just to recover your costs, not to make money. Since Q4OS is free it wouldn't be right to try to make money selling something you got for free! smile
Maybe you could print out the tips and faqs and include with your cd's?

I did a similar thing several years ago, when I was using Underground Linux.  I really liked the distro, but there were quite a few things that you had to do to get it up and running.  So, I wrote and published/printed my own installation manual for it, with some of my own tips and suggestions.  I sold the manual on eBay, along with an Underground installation CD. 

I didn't make a huge amount of sales, nor make a lot of money, just enough to cover my printing materials.  But, it was well received by those who did purchase it. 

I also did a similar thing when I was using Kanotix, too.  The book I wrote for that OS I called "Instant Linux in a Box", as I sold the manual and installation CD in one "box".  I marketed it like it was instant cereal; anyone who could boil water could use Linux on their own PC.  Again, not a lot of sales, but those who did buy it liked it.

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#6 2016-01-03 19:17

DavidB
Website

I found my old "shop" on the Wayback Machine, if anyone is curious:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050321142 … tm#instant

I had a lot of fun with Linux back then.  It didn't allow me to quit my day-job, but I wasn't really looking to do that.  I just wanted to get Linux into the hands of as many people as I could.  I did help some people and, generally, got good feedback from my customers/clients.

Oh yes, and back then, I was the official North American distributor for ALT Linux.  Back then, I did help them with some translation of their manual, as well.

Boy, those were the days!  smile

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#7 2016-01-05 00:16

DavidB
Website

Yup, certainly a different landscape these days.  But, hey, that's just how shows you how far the OS has come.

Board footer