You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-27 06:49

bin

Devuan

Been playing with the final Devuan release - they've actually done a good job with this - and out of the box it works better than the stock Jessie 8.8 as well.

Next step is to do a bare bones install and add Q4OS smile

#2 2017-05-27 08:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

#3 2017-05-27 09:01

bin

Re: Devuan

Thanks guys - sounds like it should be pretty straightforward. My guess is there's nothing in Q4OS that is systemd specific. The one thing I really miss is the old tools that allowed you to easily configure running services - or even just being able to rename/move run-level scripts.....happy days.

#4 2017-06-02 11:38

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

TDE on Devuan installation instructions https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DevuanInstall . We haven't tried it yet, posting back a result would be appreciated.

#5 2017-06-02 13:35

bin

Well, after a bit of fun with the live cd installer i went back to the standard Debian installer on the Devuan CD https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr … aller-iso/

The refracta intaller on the live-cd does not like working with a disk that has current partitions that you may want to re-use. Also I found that twice it didn't install grub properly.

However, with the standard installer, if you've installed Debian then there's nothing new here. I originally installed XFCE, later on running sudo tasksel allowed a straightforward install of LXDE.

I had to add 'contrib non-free' to the Devuan sources to get the b43 installer for wifi - worked fine over ethernet for the basic install

Out of the box Devuan does take a little longer to boot - maybe an extra 5 seconds. Shutdown is also a bit more chatty than Jessie.
Other than that (and the smug satisfaction of not using systemd - for whatever reason) it's business as usual.  Setting up devuan to use sudo exposes a couple of raw edges in the setup - only one of note is that you can run the services-admin app as a user but you shouldn't be able to because it messes things up - corrected by running sudo.

Network manager is wicd which is not my favourite but it's lightweight and it works - if you use wifi but cannot install at setup then you need to edit the prefs to show wlan0 as wireless interface after first boot.

Next I added the Trinity Jessie/Devuan 1.0 repos and picked the Trinity components I wanted - you can just install tde-trinity but there's too much stuff I don't need.

Trinity runs absolutely fine under devuan so far. Memory usage is about 50 - 80 mb up on Q4OS at idle, but Htop is reporting a lot of processes that I don't see in Q4OS so I need to see what's going on there, also it may help to switch off a few things I don't need in services admin.

USB and SD cards mount OK just as normal, printer is still printing - it just works!

I'll do another install just to avoid a few bits I didn't really need first time round - but to be honest it's fine as it is.

#6 2017-06-04 11:51

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thank you for the info, now it's possible to easily setup Q4OS on Devuan ... http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1592

#7 2017-06-05 06:03

bin

Interesting - thanks for that!

Board footer