You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-06 20:12

Kuroyukihime

Printer setup

Hello! I'm new to Q4OS. I actually don't know much about computers. I've used Ubuntu for a couple of years. Now my computer broke and I bought an old Fujitsu Amilo with Windows XP. It was too old for Ubuntu, so I installed Q4OS.
Now, it's running well, but I failed to install my printer. I've got a HP Deskjet 3633. I've read through all the tutorials I could find so far and installed hp-setup, but when I run it, it can't find a printer connected on USB. Usually USB works, I can mount my USB-Sticks without trouble. But the printer doesn't show and on the console it says "no device found".
hplip is installed and according to their website should support my printer.
Any help would be great smile

#2 2017-05-06 23:29

JimW

Re: Printer setup

I may not be much if any help, but I'll try. I have an HP 3050A and can not really remember if I had problems setting it up. Don't think I did.

I did look in synaptic and did a search for hplip and it lists (at the very end of the search) a printer driver for HP Color LaserJet 35xx/36xx - I think (bad eyesight) it is printer-driver-pxljr.

Don't know if that will help of not, but you may want to check it.

#3 2017-05-07 08:39

Dai_trying

Have you checked the documentation it might help. smile

#4 2017-05-07 13:46

Kuroyukihime

Thank you! Yes, I've already checked the documentation and tried what's in it.
printer-driver-pxljr and hplip is already installed.
When I try to run hp-setup, I get the GUI, I click on "connected via USB" and the result is this:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.14.6)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No devices found on bus: usb

Done.

The problem seems to be, that the printer isn't found. I didn't have trouble connecting it under windows, so I guess the cable is ok. Also whenever I run the hp-setup, my printer display starts blinking and showing E for error, so the connection must be there.

#5 2017-05-07 13:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could try to install more recent version of 'hplip' in terminal:
$ sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install hplip
and try to proceed hp-setup once again.

#6 2017-05-07 14:31

Kuroyukihime

It worked! I could print a testpage! Thank you very much!

Edit: OK, half a succes. The testpage is printed, but not the document from Libre Office. I can choose the printer, but it doesn't print. I checked the printjobs in CUPS and it shows the printer, the job, and under "status" it says "unable to locate printer".

Last edited by Kuroyukihime (2017-05-07 14:54)

#7 2017-05-19 13:32

Kuroyukihime

I managed to make the printer print a Libre Office document! I went through all the settings again and changed the network permissions. Now, the printer is connected to my computer via USB, so I did not think that was necessary, but when I enabled other users to use the printer via network, it somehow worked out.

Board footer