You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-10 01:53

crosscourt
Website

Heres an intriguing review from Dedoimedo

He initially was upset it wouldnt run on his Lenovo G50 but this mini-review was the result. It seems running it in VM, changed his mind entirely, which will eventually lead to a full review.

Take a look, www.dedoimedo.com/computers/q4os-virtual.html

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#2 2017-05-10 22:20

crosscourt
Website

Re: Heres an intriguing review from Dedoimedo

Here's the follow up full review,  www.dedoimedo.com/computers/q4os-orion.html

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2017-05-10 22:23

crosscourt
Website

He soured quite a bit after he did the full review, I was surprised, even though he did like many things about Q4os.

#4 2017-05-11 03:42

CaptNoize
Website

Welcome back,CC...!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However,he does state that the jury is still "out". I am totally dismayed tho, that after building a stellar OS,and offering it FREE, more thanks hasn't been devoted to the Q4OS team. Reviewers need to realize this is still a fairly new distro.
Just my observation, but no good deed ever goes unpunished.
In my humble opinion,Q4OS does everything I need it to do.

#5 2017-05-11 16:40

crosscourt
Website

Thanks CaptNoize, nice to be back.  His review is very different from the very positive one Gary Newell did that we have posted here onsite.

I sent him an email about the review and actually mentioned Q4OS is a relatively new distro using  a fairly new DE.

I want to see what some of the other reviewers post and when I was doing reviews I gave Q4OS a glowing review even though it had some issues at that time.

Q4OS to my knowledge is the only official distro that uses Trinity as its main DE.

#6 2017-05-11 19:33

Dai_trying

crosscourt wrote:

and when I was doing reviews I gave Q4OS a glowing review even though it had some issues at that time.

Surely not!... that statement could compromise your review integrity. I actually mostly agree with Dedoimedo's review, I don't think we should hide the shortcomings of the distro just because we favour it, we should learn from the honest reviews so that we can make it better.

I have also mailed Dedoimedo to mention a couple of small items that I feel are not right, but if we don't accept the review as it is we would be blindfolded to thinking everyone will see the distro as we do, when in fact they are more likely to get hung up on the minor irritations the OS has which we choose to ignore because we obviously hold it in favour.

I think good reviews are great but they should always be true, personally I would prefer to have things highlighted that might be worthy of the developers time in looking how to change it and make the whole OS more appealing/robust/noteworthy.

#7 2017-05-11 22:25

crosscourt
Website

When I said glowing review it spoke to many of the things Gary Newell also liked about Q4OS. There were issues, nothing major, but its so dependent on how you use your pc.  My usage is far different than Dedoimedo, whos always been a tough/picky reviewer.He has major issues with KDE but I use it all the time and enjoy it given my different usage.

Compare Gary's reviews(pretty glowing) to Dedoimedo and thats where Im coming from overall.  All distros have issues and even though i gave Q4OS a glowing review i also posted what I didnt like. I never hold back but I prefer balanced reviews.  If the distro is 90% good Im not going to beat it to death for the other 10% unless its something pretty major. I also note whether its appropriate for various user groups, beginners in particular.

I base my reviews on what the average user would look for just as Gary does which may or may not be a proper approach.
I want to try and get people to see Q4OS thru my eyes and how I utilize it, so they can decide if it will suit their needs.

Q4OS when I did my first review on it was one of the best lightweight distros Ive ever tried and Id still stick by those comments.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-05-11 22:35)

#8 2017-05-11 22:36

Dai_trying

I guess I just read the line and thought "hang on reviews should be what it is not want you want it to be..." sorry I may have jumped the gun slightly. smile

#9 2017-05-11 22:45

crosscourt
Website

No big deal, but reviews are rarely strictly fact fests, as Im going to test based on parameters I set down, based on my hardware and overall usage needs. Another reviewer may do it from a different perspective.  If youve got the resources to do a very in depth review from all angles and hardware, that certainly would be great, but it doesnt happen that often.  Dedoimedo had his mind made up after Q4OS wouldnt run on his Lenovo G50, then he runs it on a much older laptop and thats the review you get. Judge for yourself but Ive tested Q4OS on 20 different pcs from 2004 to 2012 and I ask friends to do some pounding to see if anything crops up.

Thats why I tell people, all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt as the testing methodology varies so much.

Thats why I like Gary's reviews so much, as he looks to the average user and doesnt get overly complicated, taking into consideration the maturity of the distro.

Dedoimedo's VM review versus his full review is a minor case in point.

On a side note, hardware reviews are even worse but thats a discussion for another day.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-05-11 23:22)

Board footer