You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-25 22:58

philc

Installation of Canon printer driver not listed in CUPS

Hello again, I am at the end of the set-up of 32 bit Q4OS on a previously Vista based laptop and have run into a hitch with the installation of a printer.

We have two printers in the house, an old Canon MP610 connected by USB and a much newer Canon Pixma MG6851 unit, which we connect to with wi-fi. Both printers were detected by the CUPS system, accessed via the Control Centre, but the model number/driver was only available for the MP610 and not for the MG6851.  The MP610 has been installed, but despite trying some close-ish model numbers the MG6851 is not responding.

I have downloaded the appropriate driver from Canon, cnijfilter2-5.20-1-deb.tar.gz and it is sitting in /home/(user name)/Documents.

I understand from reading some web pages that it has to be installed via Konsole. I have two requests:

1.  Could someone please very kindly give me an idiots guide to carrying this out, bearing in mind where the prompt starts and where the file is situated ?  Please assume I know very little about navigation and commands from a prompt.  The last time I had to use such a thing, apart from regedit, was in Windows 3.1 in the early 90's.  I recall you had to use CD to navigate through the folder structure, there was a command to list the directory contents and you used del to delete files .....(!)

2.  I am finding Q4OS a little inscrutable with regard to seeing the complete folder structure in one screen, although I believe I view this when saving a file.  Could you please advise the best place to find this.  This will obviously help me with 1.

Your advice should be useful to me in the future for any downloaded applications outside the scope of the Software Centre and Synaptic Package Manager.

#2 2017-03-26 07:32

bin

Re: Installation of Canon printer driver not listed in CUPS

Hello philc and welcome to Q4OS
Before you do anything else - if you have not already done so - open Konsole and type sudo kcmodules --unlock
This will give you access to all the desktop config tools in Control Centre.

Taking q 2 first - there are a number of tools at your disposal. To start with you may find this will help.
Open Konqueror via My Documents desktop icon
Press f9
In the top menu bar of Konq click Settings>Save View Profile "File Management">Save
That will keep that layout which is a bit more helpful.
On the left side of the Konq window there is a vertical set of icons. Hover the mouse over each one and you'll see the various places they take you - click and go!

In the menu system Accessories>Krusader gives you a good old fashion Norton Commander style file manager

Out of the box the Q4 use file structure is not as complete as it could be, and does not follow the normal linux practice - but that is all easily changed depending on how you want to work.

Q1 is a little more complex.
Open Konsole and type sudo apt-get install gdebi xarchiver ark-trinity
This installs a gui that handles installation of downloaded or local deb files and a couple of tools for handling zip and archive files.
Once complete open Konq and navigate to the driver package
Right click and go down to Open with>it should roll out to show xarchiver and ark.
Select xarchiver
Select the folder in the right pane of xarchiver and click the extract icon at the top (or Action Extract)
You will now have the deb file in your Documents

Now, under normal conditions you would right click on it and select Open with>gdebi
It would then go off and check for dependencies and take it from there.

However, this driver package is a little different as it actually extracts a folder rather than a deb file.
That folder contains an installer with a couple of binary resources and a 32 and 64 bit deb file.
The installer script includes the 6800 series.
To run the installer open the folder cnijfilter2-5.20-1-deb
Right click on a blank spot and select Open Terminal Here
Type sudo ./install.sh
That will kick off the installer script.

I notice that in Synaptic there is a package cups-backend-bjnp which seems as though it may be relevant to wireless printing with the Canon.

Hope this helps as a starter.

#3 2017-03-26 12:50

philc

Hi bin, thank you, that's very helpful.

The revised My Document view is much better and Krusader gives a perfect overview of the folder structure.

Unfortunately, I've stumbled on the other aspects: 

When I entered the command to unlock the kc modules, it asked me to enter my password, but no symbols appeared at the prompt when I pressed the keys.

When I entered the command to install xarchiver, the response was:

Reading package lists.. done
Reading state information..done
E: Unable to locate package archive

Do you have any further advice?...sorry.

#4 2017-03-26 13:00

philc

Hi, sorry, I'm away on xarchiver, I must have misspelt it.

I will report back.

#5 2017-03-26 13:41

philc

All done and working!

I understood about the non-appearing password.

Great tutorial, thanks again.

Board footer