You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-24 18:37

philc

Location of KNotes

Hello, I am a newcomer to Q4OS and Linux, having been prompted to convert my ageing Toshiba AMD64x2, 2 GB RAM, 150 GB HDD laptop, donated by my wife, from Vista upon the forthcoming withdrawal of support from both Vista and Firefox.
I installed from a live CD and everything has gone swimmingly.  I am having fun getting the desktop, programs and features in tip top shape along the lines of the most helpful Everyday Linux User articles.  All aspects work extremely well, much better than in Vista, which rather overwhelmed my modest unit, and I am also gratified and relieved that the very useful Quicken 2004 HG program installed flawlessly under Wine 1.6.2, with Windows XP support. Mozilla Thunderbird grabbed my BT Internet and Gmail IMAP settings automatically and email was up and running in minutes.
One tiny thing is bugging me.  I noticed KNotes in the feature set and used it to write some reminders to do with the install admin.  For the past day I can not find this program in the start menu and I can not remember where I get it from.  Would anyone be kind enough to advise me where it normally lives and also, if necessary, how to find and open this and any less than obvious TDE applications in a more fundamental way?  A small point, I know, but I will learn by it.
In my ignorance, I looked for KNotes in Synaptic and for better or worse (re)downloaded trinity-knotes, to no visible avail (to me).  I think this was a bad idea and hopefully, I have not done any harm.
By running a files/folders seach for 'knotes' I can find a trace in /home/(user name)/.trinity/share/apps/knotes  - one folder and 2 files - but I am not sure how to to act on this.
Many thanks for your patience.
philc

#2 2017-03-24 18:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Location of KNotes

You need to install 'knotes-trinity' package. You can search and install it using the Synaptic package manager or in terminal this way:
$ sudo apt-get install knotes-trinity
It will be included under the Start Menu -> Applications -> Accessories -> Utilities -> Desktop ... category

#3 2017-03-24 20:45

philc

Perfect! I have KNotes again - my desktop will be covered with yellow notes, thank you.
philc

#4 2017-03-24 20:48

Dai_trying

One thing you might want to do is take a look at the different menu options, you can choose some different options from the welcome screen by selecting Switch to Kickoff start menu you will have options to use either Kickoff, bourbon, or classical menu and can choose between Q4OS or Categorised menus. between those options you might find a menu that you are more comfortable with.
If you have checked the box not to display the welcome screen you can display it by right-clicking the desktop and select "run" and then start typing welcome and the welcome screen command (welcome-screen.exu) should be listed in the drop-down menu, select it and click run to start it.

#5 2017-03-25 20:32

philc

Thank you, I will experiment with these options and it's good to know how to get the welcome screen back.

Board footer