You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-17 01:32

alinho

Problem with some games' resolution on Full Screen

Hi, let me start by saying I loved your distro, it's nearly flawless. The only little thing I'm having a problem with is that it doesn't quite get the resolution of some games right on Full Screen mode. Using as an example here, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

The game is configured to run on 640x480 resolution, while my PC's native resolution is 1920x1080. When the game is started and goes Full Screen, the native resolution is changed, but the game screen is not. The result is playing a game stretched to 1920x1080 on a 640x480 resolution, here's a screenshot of what it looks like to illustrate my problem better:

pTA8MZZ.jpg

The only workaround I've found to counter this problem was creating key-shortcuts to change the native resolution to 640x480, so the game could be played without being stretched, and then change it back to 1920x1080 when I was done playing.

Does someone have another suggestion?

#2 2017-01-17 09:56

bin

Re: Problem with some games' resolution on Full Screen

You may want to investigate switching the res on the game - have you tried these?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/12120/di … 450250095/

#3 2017-01-17 10:06

alinho

bin wrote:

You may want to investigate switching the res on the game - have you tried these?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/12120/di … 450250095/

Well, you see, the problem is that my computer is an old one, and playing the game on high resolutions needs a large amount of video memory from my graphics card. Sadly, the one I have is installed onboard and it's pretty weak. I have to play on the smallest resolution for questions of performance.

#4 2017-01-18 08:06

bin

OK - I assume you've used the TDE R&R utility to create the shortcut - so you've investigated that route.

I don't have an answer, but my guess is that the solution lies in the creation of a custom xorg.conf file. It's too many years since I played with modelines to be of serious help.

Is this a native linux game or is it using Steam or what?

#5 2017-01-19 03:10

alinho

bin wrote:

OK - I assume you've used the TDE R&R utility to create the shortcut - so you've investigated that route.

I don't have an answer, but my guess is that the solution lies in the creation of a custom xorg.conf file. It's too many years since I played with modelines to be of serious help.

Is this a native linux game or is it using Steam or what?

This is a game that runs through Wine.

#6 2017-01-19 07:20

bin

Have you tried working with the Virtual Desktop size settings in winecfg?

Is this using Playonlinux or just plain wine?

#7 2017-01-20 04:51

alinho

bin wrote:

Have you tried working with the Virtual Desktop size settings in winecfg?

Is this using Playonlinux or just plain wine?

Well, yes. It doesn't work through Virtual Desktop. I've also tried disabling Window decorations and the Linux window manager, none of it worked. And yes, it's plain wine.

#8 2017-01-20 07:20

bin

OK - I assume you installed wine through the Q4OS software installer rather than direct from synaptic.
If not then go back to the software installer and use the Q4OS Wine installer.
Start up Playonlinux
Click Install
Let it refresh
Select Games>GTA SA
Follow through the installation process - it will create a new prefix - virtual machine as they call it.
This may help out of the box - I have found a few programmes where PoL delivers when vanilla wine does not.
If not, in PoL you can select the game, click Configure and take a walk through the Display settings.
You can also install additional components/drivers which may also assist.

It is also possible to use PoL to install later versions of Wine which may help. It does this very smoothly and the versions do not clash - I use a later 64bit version 1.8 in PoL for some stuff and stock 32bit 1.62 for others quite happily.

#9 2017-01-21 00:59

alinho

Well, I just experimented with Linux Mint, and it runs the game fine, resolution changed and all.
However, when I go to the "Window Manager Tweaks" and disable this option, the same bug shows up in that Distro:

[url=http://i.imgur.com/mjDrcx9.png]
  mjDrcx9l.png
[/url]

Could this help, somehow?

#10 2017-01-21 08:02

bin

That's interesting.

I don't know if you've looked at this yet, but if you right click on the top window bar and go to Advanced you'll see Special Window and Special Application Settings.

My guess is that Application would be the one for you.

Open the game in window view, then go that setting dialogue.

Geometry>Full Screen>Force Temporarily may be the sort of area to looking. You may need to try other controls as I really don't have anything to be able to test this. Just use the Temporary option whilst testing. I have used these controls - not this particular one though - for a couple of awkward GTK apps and it does work.

Also, since that looks like Mint XFCE what you could do is to use the altdeski command to install XFCE in Q4OS and then tweak the same Window Manager settings and see if that works for you.

Board footer