You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-07 15:18

sergioandvar
Website

Unable to open files in a NTFS mounted partition from TDE Apps

Hello, and thanks for this marvelous operating system. Q4OS has revived my old 2010 PC so I can use it for almost every task I use daily.

I've had some problems trying to open certain file in my NTFS partition with TDE Apps. I've enabled the system to mount my NTFS by default but when I try to set my wallpaper from an image located in my NTFS partition I get this message: "The selected folder does not exists. Please select an existing one". The funny thing it is the selecting window eleven allows to me see previews of my pictures, so it is obvious it exists. I'm having this problem not just with the Wallpaper selection but almost every application that need a file from my NTFS partition.

Thanks for your time and patience smile

Q4OS Colombian User

#2 2017-01-07 16:35

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Unable to open files in a NTFS mounted partition from TDE Apps

You could try to install 'ntfs-3g' package in terminal:
$ sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

#3 2017-01-07 23:22

sergioandvar
Website

No, ntfs-3g was already installed when I got that error message. I had to use ntfs-3g to auto-mount my ntfs partition.

On the other hand I've got that ntfs-3g is on the most recent version. sad

Q4OS Colombian User

#4 2017-01-08 03:44

CapitanOdessa

sergioandvar wrote:

No, ntfs-3g was already installed when I got that error message. I had to use ntfs-3g to auto-mount my ntfs partition.

On the other hand I've got that ntfs-3g is on the most recent version. sad

That is because I think that Konqueror mounts using ntfs instead of ntfs-3g. The first is read-only.

#5 2017-01-08 05:15

sergioandvar
Website

So, what should I do?

Q4OS Colombian User

#6 2017-01-08 07:10

bin

Normally the answer to this is to put an entry into /etc/fstab which will mount your windows NTFS partition at startup using ntfs-3g

The entry would look like this

/dev/sdax /mnt/windows ntfs-3g rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0002,fmask=0003 0 0

sdax would need to be altered to match the ID of the partition e.g. sda3 or sda2 or whatever it should be.

Copy /etc/fstab to your home so you have a backup.
Make sure you have a bootable medium usb or cd or dvd with the Q4OS live that you used for installation. That way, if for any reason your system becomes un-startable you can boot from that and edit the entry out of fstab or just replace it with the backup.

#7 2017-01-08 19:51

sergioandvar
Website

I modified fstab file and I lost the desktop environment after restart. Fortunately it was just deleting the lines I added to fstab file and TDE appeared again.

I tried with VLC and it seems it can access the partition videos. GIMP can open images in my NTFS Partition. And the partition is succesfully mounted but It seems TDE Apps are not able to open the content I have in my NTFS partition.

What should I do?
Should I contact TDE developers?

Q4OS Colombian User

#8 2017-01-09 07:58

bin

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.
It my just be that the config file that is pointing to the wallpaper does not understand how to get to an NTFS-3g drive if it was previously pointing at a different mount point. Sorry, I should have suggested you re-set the wallpaper back to none.
Thinking about it - it seems pretty unlikely that a local configuration file which normally works on a local drive would be able to understand how to get to an external drive for information.

If that is the only issue then the suggestion would be to copy that over to your home and re-configure from there.

The other idea is that it depends on how you are pointing to the NTFS folder when setting the wallpaper. Does it show under /mnt/ or in /media/ If it is already mounted without fstab then if you take a look at /etc/mtab it will show the mount point which may help us work out what's going on. You may then be able to get away with a symlink for the wallpaper file so that you point to a local symlink to the file on the ntfs drive.

Last edited by bin (2017-01-09 08:15)

#9 2017-01-09 11:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

sergioandvar wrote:

I've enabled the system to mount my NTFS by default but when I try to set my wallpaper from an image located in my NTFS partition I get this message: "The selected folder does not exists. Please select an existing one".

Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the issue. The steps we have taken:
- Clean Q4OS installation.
- Connect secondary internal SATA hard drive with native windows installation NTFS formatted.
- Boot Q4OS
- Mount NTFS partition:
  $ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
- Navigate to an image in '/mnt/Documents and Settings/All Users/Dokuments/Pictures/Picture Previews/' using konqueror
- Right mouse click on an image -> Set as Background -> Centered -> Select
- Wallpaper is properly set

All other TDE applications open files from the NTFS drive properly.

We would need more detailed description and as exact as possible procedure to reproduce the issue to be able to check it.

#10 2017-01-09 21:35

MC

sudo apt-get install disk-manager

Then, open Disk Manager and tick the check box for your NTFS partition. (You may have to reboot for it to recognize the changes.)

On Debian, to access and automount an NTFS partition, this is the solution I've always used. I logged in to TDE and checked it with Konqueror...no problem accessing files.

Last edited by MC (2017-01-10 05:52)

Q4OS running Xfce

#11 2017-01-10 05:10

sergioandvar
Website

Thank you to all of you for your interest and quickly replies. I think I've not explained myself clearly. I don't have problem opening pictures with Gwenview, and I suppose other image viewers should work flawlessly. I fixed the problem just copying my Wallpapers folder to /home. The real problem is that some TDE Apps simply can't open NTFS files. For example, I wanted to have a shortcut on my desktop of GuitarPro folder located in my NTFS partition that is normally mounted and I've got the same message that the folder does not exists.

My solution was primitive because I had to copy my GuitarPro folder + tabs to my /home and it's very heavy. After many minutes I had my GuitarPro shortcut on desktop but I can't copy/paste every folder I need to use to my Home partition.

By the way, I tried your suggestions but I still have this error message.

Thanks.

Q4OS Colombian User

#12 2017-01-10 08:36

bin

WRT the shortcut to GuitarPro folder.
Please could you describe the process you are using to create the shortcut?
I assume you start from Desktop>Right Click>Create New>Link to Location.
The browse box that appears will allow you to select Storage Media......then what happens?

#13 2017-01-11 04:54

sergioandvar
Website

bin wrote:

WRT the shortcut to GuitarPro folder.
Please could you describe the process you are using to create the shortcut?
I assume you start from Desktop>Right Click>Create New>Link to Location.
The browse box that appears will allow you to select Storage Media......then what happens?

I access GuitarPro folder in my NTFS partition, but when I finally select the folder I receive an error message saying that the folder does not exists. I recognize it's rare because I can access GuitarPro with Konqueror and a double-click in the executable will open the application.

Q4OS Colombian User

Board footer