You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-12 23:57

wildfins

Q4OS/Win7 dual boot installation How-to?

Appreciate much if some Q4OS experienced users post a step-by-step tutorial to make a Q4OS/Win7 dual boot clean installation from scratch?  I checked the tips/tutorial forum but did not find it.

Is it something like to plan two partitions on the PC then to start a clean Win7 install first on partition #1 followed by Q4OS live-cd full install on partition #2? Or else?

Thanks...

#2 2016-12-24 10:08

phatsteve

Re: Q4OS/Win7 dual boot installation How-to?

I did it by shrinking main volume with disk management (win 10 pro 64bit), creating new unallocated volume (about 100 GB), run q4os live disk and installing to new volume (sda5 on mine), then, most important, install grub to sda5. Reboot pc, only win 10 as yet, install bcdedit from neosmart.net/EasyBCD/, run it and follow instructions to add 2 operating systems, win 10 as default, and q4os. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it does for me. I always run linux like this, no problems removing grub, either delete volume and start again, or simply install another linux to same partition, remembering to install grub to same partition, nor mbr. Grub menu can be edited to start q4os after a few seconds, or immediately.

Board footer