You are not logged in.

#26 2015-12-19 19:47

aboutblank

Re: Hibernation unexpected [problems]

Dai_trying wrote:

Yea, looks ok to me. I don't think i can help any further really, maybe support@q4os.org can help.

Dai

Thanks, Dai, I have already done so!

aboutblank
December 19, 2015

#27 2015-12-19 20:06

Dai_trying

Please let us know if you get it sorted, I for 1 would like to know what the issue is.

Dai

#28 2015-12-19 22:00

aboutblank

Dai_trying wrote:

Please let us know if you get it sorted, I for 1 would like to know what the issue is.

Dai

Well, I managed to sort it out!  (With a little help from Google.)

I managed to solve the problem by doing the following:  in /etc/default, I edited the file 'grub', using this command in a console:

sudo kwrite /etc/default/grub

I changed the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sda8"

where sda8 is my swap partition.  Then, I ran

sudo update-grub

in the terminal.

Note:  I created the root, home, and swap partitions myself with a Windows program, Minitool Partition Editor 9.1, prior to installing Q4OS, rather than letting the Q4OS installer perform that task.  Perhaps that is why the installation did not create the grub file that would have worked.  But that is just speculation on my part, as it would indicate a major flaw in the installer logic.

Also Note:  The "mechanics" of how Q4OS hibernates is different from that which I've experienced under Windows 7.  After clicking on 'Suspend to Disk' in TDEPowersave in the tray, the screen goes black.  Then, it comes back on (showing the desktop), but I noticed that the laptop's drive indicator light is on solidly, indicating that disk activity is occuring, presumaby, writing the contents of RAM to the swap partition.  The memory load is apparently much lighter than under Windows 7, as it doesn't take very much time, maybe 5 seconds, for the write to finish, and the screen and all indicator lights go off on the laptop, indicating that it is completely shut down.  Upon turning the power back on, because I use the Windows 7 bootloader, I don't see a message similar to the one Windows 7 would show ("Resuming Windows").  Because I installed grub to the Partition Boot Record (instead of the Master Boot Record), I instead see a normal boot process that takes me to the Windows boot menu I created with EasyBCD under Windows.  On that menu, I select Q4OS (instead of Windows), and I am then presented with the Q4OS grub menu with a couple of choices, and about a 4 or 5 second countdown.  When I press enter to select "Orion" (the Q4OS version 1.4.4 installed), only then do I notice differences from the boot process that I would normally see on a boot after a power down:  the on-screen messages are slightly different, and there are only a couple of them, then I am presented with the desktop and a log-in prompt (as I've enabled Screen Saver security).  After logging in, I see each of my desktops configured exactly as I left them, with each program I had opened in it's correct desktop workspace.  (I've included this long winded-explanation for the benefit of those new users who, like me, have come from a Windows 7 environment.)

aboutblank
December 19, 2105

Last edited by aboutblank (2015-12-19 22:07)

#29 2015-12-19 22:17

Dai_trying

That's great that it is sorted for you, and good for us all to know for future reference.
I usually just create free space for a partition on hdd of a new linux installation and then tell the installer to use all the free space, that way it sets up swap and working partition ok. but to each their own smile
I hope you have fun with your new distro

Dai

#30 2015-12-20 10:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

aboutblank, thank you for very helpful reporting. Your findings will be added to prepared Q4OS documentation/FAQ.

Board footer