You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-22 16:30

orion

Hi i am new user of q4os

Hello by proving Q4os this last edition 32 bit, it find very pretty and functional. But I think that you should include in the iso image 2 additional programs 1. Apper (simple software Manager) and 2.  A Firewall (graphic) both are in the repositories and can be downloaded using synaptic (included already) why apper? the graphical interface seems more intuitive than sinaptic for beginners.( (i have the 2 installed) And a firewall (firewall applet) - logical -  protection. I am very interested in this distro and its future development. I have installed  the Q4OS and works very well.  Greetings

#2 2016-07-23 10:17

Dai_trying

Re: Hi i am new user of q4os

Hi orion and welcome to the forum,
    I'm glad you like this distro, I do too and part of it's appeal is the size / speed / looks, I just did a quick apt check with apper and on this system it wants to install a lot of dependencies!!

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  akonadi-backend-mysql akonadi-server apper apper-data appstream-index docbook-xsl kate-data katepart kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin
  kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdepim-runtime kdepimlibs-kio-plugins kdoctools libakonadi-calendar4 libakonadi-contact4 libakonadi-kabc4
  libakonadi-kcal4 libakonadi-kde4 libakonadi-kmime4 libakonadi-notes4 libakonadiprotocolinternals1 libappstream1 libattica0.4
  libboost-program-options1.55.0 libboost-system1.55.0 libboost-thread1.55.0 libclucene-core1 libdbusmenu-qt2 libdebconf-kde0 libdlrestrictions1
  libdmtx0a libexiv2-13 libgee-0.8-2 libgpgme++2 libical1a libiodbc2 libkabc4 libkactivities-bin libkactivities-models1 libkactivities6 libkalarmcal2
  libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcal4 libkcalcore4 libkcalutils4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5
  libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkgapi2-2 libkholidays4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkimap4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkldap4 libkmbox4
  libkmediaplayer4 libkmime4 libknewstuff2-4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkolab0 libkolabxml1 libkparts4 libkpimidentities4
  libkpimtextedit4 libkpimutils4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4 libkresources4 libkrosscore4 libktexteditor4 libkutils4 libkworkspace4abi2 libkxmlrpcclient4
  liblistaller-glib0 libmailtransport4 libmhash2 libmicroblog4 libnepomuk4 libnepomukcore4 libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0
  libpackagekitqt4-0 libplasma3 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libprison0 libqapt-runtime libqapt1 libqca2 libqjson0 libqrencode3 libqt4-sql-mysql libraptor2-0
  librasqal3 librdf0 libsolid4 libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libthreadweaver4 libxerces-c3.1 libyajl2 listaller nepomuk-core-data
  ntrack-module-libnl-0 oxygen-icon-theme plasma-scriptengine-javascript python3-pykde4 python3-pyqt4 qapt-batch software-properties-kde soprano-daemon

My guess would be this is the reason it is not included with the main iso image, and like you say it can be installed if desired after installation.

And in my experience firewalls are a lot down to user preference as many users prefer to have specific packages, and configurations seem to cause many issues with other distributions and that could be a deciding factor in including (or not) in the installation media, and again anything can be installed once the system is set-up. I do think there could be an argument for including a (preferred) firewall in the software centre so that we could have a set firewall to help users to have a better experience with configuration etc.

Board footer