You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-09 19:27

grayback46

Trouble with install

I'm having a problem installing Q4OS 1.4.9 64bit on my PC (Optiplex 830). The install goes smoothly until the formatting part. I elected to use the entire drive and it stops during format partition at 33% each time. I thought I may not have given it enough time so I left it there all afternoon but nothing else. I had read some people had problems overwriting other distros so I loaded my SUSE Live DVD and used gparted to delete all the partitions and start Q4OS again and the same thing happens. I'm not very well versed on Linux but want to learn. I'm quite familiar with XP is why I wanted to try Q4OS.

Thanks in advance for any help getting this going.

#2 2016-04-09 20:46

JimW

Re: Trouble with install

I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. So, I'll just ask a few questions that may help others answer your problem as I can't think of anything that would cause that!

Are you using the "install" cd or the "live" cd to install?
If using the install have you tried the "no questions asked" option?
Only other thing I could think of would be a damaged installation program or cd.
Like I said, others here will probably have some better things for you to try.

Hope you get it working - I think you'll fall in love with it!!! smile

#3 2016-04-09 21:04

grayback46

JimW wrote:

I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. So, I'll just ask a few questions that may help others answer your problem as I can't think of anything that would cause that!

Are you using the "install" cd or the "live" cd to install?
If using the install have you tried the "no questions asked" option?
Only other thing I could think of would be a damaged installation program or cd.
Like I said, others here will probably have some better things for you to try.

Hope you get it working - I think you'll fall in love with it!!! smile

I used an install CD I made from the ISO I downloaded then put it on a CD with K3b. I tried the "No questions asked" also with the same results. I didn't try the manual modes. Not sure how to do it that way.

Just had a thought. Since I deleted the partitions on the hard drive, do I have to format the drive or does theQ4OS do it for me during the install?

I did create another CD thinking the first one may have had a problem from a fresh ISO download. Same thing.

#4 2016-04-09 21:53

grayback46

I tried the CD in another PC and it installed correctly. Maybe I have a bum hard drive in the original PC? I previously had Mint and SUSE installed on it and they ran fine. Go figure??

#5 2016-04-10 00:18

Dai_trying

@greyback46
If you are having problems with your cd drive would it be possible to boot from a usb memory stick, I use them all the time as I can just wipe them and use it again for the next iso.

#6 2016-04-10 00:46

grayback46

Dai_trying wrote:

@greyback46
If you are having problems with your cd drive would it be possible to boot from a usb memory stick, I use them all the time as I can just wipe them and use it again for the next iso.

I tried that yesterday. It didn't work. It was my first attempt at making a bootable thumb drive. I probably screwed it up. Good idea though. I like the idea of booting from a USB flash drive. I'll try it on the PC that works with Q4OS so I'll have a good starting place.

#7 2016-04-10 01:04

Dai_trying

I always make mine using the command line

sudo cp /path/to/isofile.iso /dev/sdb; sync

I rarely have any issues with this method, so should do you ok. Just make sure the correct device is selected, I have shown /dev/sdb, but you should check your own device with

sudo blkid

and make sure you are happy that the device is the usb stick.

#8 2016-04-11 15:05

grayback46

I went back to the original PC I was having the problem with and installed SUSE and Mint with no problems. Now I'm confused?? Why wouldn't it let me install Q4OS? The 2 PC's are similar but not the same. The one with a problem is a Optiplex 360 and the other is a Optiplex 380. Both are using 160 GIG SATA Seagate drives. I guess the next step is to swap hard drives and see if the problem follows the drive or PC?

#9 2016-04-11 15:10

Dai_trying

That's got me stumped, I usually find if it's a hardware issue it would be the same on both q4os and mint (q4os uses modified mint installer). So I would have thought it should work ok...

#10 2016-04-11 15:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

grayback46 wrote:

I used an install CD....

Press ALT+F4 key combination when the installation freezes, it will switch to the installation console, and post messages here to analyze.

#11 2016-04-11 21:28

grayback46

q4osteam wrote:
grayback46 wrote:

I used an install CD....

Press ALT+F4 key combination when the installation freezes, it will switch to the installation console, and post messages here to analyze.

The PC in question here is in my shop. There is no internet connection there. How do I get the messages to this PC to post them? If it stops in the middle of an install, how could I copy and paste to a thumb drive without an OS running? I guess I could take a picture and send it or write the info down?

#12 2016-04-11 21:35

Dai_trying

One alternative would be to try the live-cd, then if you get that running you can simply "printscreen' to get images of any installation errors.

#13 2016-04-11 22:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We would recommend to take a photograph of the screen or simply write important part of the log down and attach here.

#14 2016-04-12 06:35

bin

Just an odd thought - does the install CD require an internet connection to function - haven't used it myself?

#15 2016-04-12 09:52

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

No, install CD doesn't need any network connection. It will install Q4OS system even with no network card.

#16 2016-04-12 19:45

grayback46

Well, here's the latest. This morning I swapped hard drives from each PC. I formatted both and proceeded to install. Both installed with no problem. At first I thought I had a compatibility problem with the original hardware (PC and drive). I swapped back to the original setup and reinstalled on both PC's again with no problem. I CAN NOT recreate the damned problem now. 

I like this OS since I have gotten used to it. I just ordered 2 more hard drives like the ones I've been using for other PC's which I will install Q4OS. I've found I can configure this OS to look and feel like XP enough for a couple friends to use.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I'm tired of messing with this. At this point I'll consider this post closed. . .

#17 2016-04-12 20:41

Dai_trying

Glad you got it all sorted smile

Board footer