You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-11 22:01

crosscourt
Website

4 lightweight image viewers for the Linux desktop

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#2 2019-03-02 18:12

edderland

Re: 4 lightweight image viewers for the Linux desktop

I've been using Shotwell. I like the ability to edit the properties of the picture. The way the photos are organized makes more sense than a few of the others I've tried. Gwenview, isn't my favourite.

#3 2019-03-02 21:21

crosscourt
Website

Shotwell is also my favorite for the same reasons you mentioned.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2019-03-03 07:17

bin

Having decided to drop WINE I have spent a bit of time looking for something as good as FastStone - and even Picasa.

So far the closest I have come is XnViewMP. Under the hood it's qt base and seems to work OK though some of the editing tools are a bit clumsy. I mostly use it for a quick run through the pics before handing over to Darktable for editing.

Shotwell is very good for jpgs.

#5 2019-03-03 10:02

Dai_trying

I have used ristretto for quite some time now for when I want to view images. I found it to be adequate for my needs, and I use gimp for editing.

#6 2019-03-03 18:45

crosscourt
Website

Ive used Ristretto and ImageMagick with good results and use Gimp quite a bit recently with some projects.  Shotwell is very good with jjpgs but Picasa was my original favorite.  I dont use Wine as much as I use to particularly since Im gaming natively in Linux these days.

#7 2019-03-25 07:24

bin

It's worth mentioning that the Plasma version of Gwenview is a major improvement over the old KDE 3.x version. Once all the bugs are ironed out Centaurus Plasma looks like being a good platform for graphics - but only if they can sort out the present qt release which is killing the use of Digikam. The issues have all been sorted further upstream but if Buster freezes as it is right now with the qt bug baked in then it will be bad news.

#8 2019-03-25 18:00

crosscourt
Website

Ive used Gwenview but not with Q4OS.

#9 2019-05-11 21:48

Rademes

I have tried many image viewers, but there is one, which is the best for me - ksquirrel-trinity.
It is very fast, very functional and convenient to use. I definitely suggest all to try it!
Gwenview is a bit slow and sluggish in my opinion.
XnViewMP is also very good, but it is heavy if you need just image viewer, not image editor.
Ristretto for some reasons did not worked well for me.
So my top 4 is:
1. Ksquirrel-trinity
2. Mirage
3. XnViewMP (dropped from 2 to 3 because of heaviness and absence in repositories)
4. Shotwell

Last edited by Rademes (2019-05-11 21:59)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#10 2019-05-11 23:57

jessexschilling
Website

I have tried a great many image viewers. Ultimately, they were all decent. Lately, I switched to DigiKam for it's many nifty features and to make it easier to proof my photos. DigiKam comes with an image viewer, ShowFoto, which I find quite good. Has all of your basic features, plus some minor editing leveraged from DigiKam, plus excellent MetaData views and such. If you use one, it makes sense to use the other.

Previously, I primarily used Nomacs.

Jesse Schilling | rainydayshirts

#11 2019-08-19 01:30

Midas

I recently tested most of the products named here in search for a quick functional viewer, preferably able to start swiftly and full-screen when invoked, capable of displaying new(ish) formats like GIF (animated), WEBP, APNG or RAW and came away sorely disappointed. In comparison with the range on offer in Windows (Imagine, Nexus Viewer, Qview, or qimgv, just to name a few good free ones), the scene linuxside looks pretty bleak.

1. Eye of Gnome is the one closer to my checklist -- it's simple but lacks in the compatibility department;
2. Ristretto was the runner up;
3. Gpicview came way far behind.

#12 2019-08-19 04:21

cjoliprsf

This is an interesting topic...
I make quite a bit of photo, and coming from Windows world, when I migrated to Linux, I naturally wanted to use the same viewer I had always used under Windows: Irfanview.
This is a neat little program, that loads quickly, displays raw image formats, permits redimensioning and cropping of photos, also batch rename/resize. It is quite limited as far as edition is concerned, but for serious edition one would anyway use some other program.

Irfanview is a Windows-only program but works fine under Linux with Wine.

Another one that I use on a regular basis is XnViewMP, and I mostly use this one for a first review of the pictures after downloading from the camera, selecting those that I will keep for further processing.

Hence my work flow goes as follows:
-Rapid Photo Downloader to transfer the files from the camera to the computer (this one is a great program that has no equivalent in the Windows world),
-XnViewMP for the first review and sorting of the photos,
-RawTherspee and/or DarkTable and/or Canon DPP (also under Wine, for my Canon camera files only) to process the raw files, adjust light and contrast, make lens and perspective corrections and so on, and produce the jpeg files,
-IrfanView to simply look at pictures after they have been processed, batch produce lower resolution files (for example for sending by email) and other simple tasks.

Board footer