You are not logged in.

#26 2019-01-10 10:52

sickpig

Re: not booting [SOLVED]

thanks Dai

@q4os while running journalctl | gzip > /tmp/journal.gz from puppy i get error bash: journalctl command not found
but i have attached a screenie of the lxtask

Last edited by sickpig (2019-01-10 10:53)

Attachments:
jpg ScreenShot_2019-01-10_20:48:42.jpg, Size: 54.84 KiB, Downloads: 519

#27 2019-01-10 11:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could try to run from Puppy:
$ sudo dmesg | gzip > /tmp/dmesg.gz
and attach here.

#28 2019-01-10 12:44

sickpig

i figured out what the issue was
the culprit is uefi mode (whatever that is) in bios
so when i change the  bios  mode  to  uefi and  boot in live cd or q4os i see 3.6 something gig ram as usable
but when i change the boot option to legacy and then boot i see only 2.7 gig as usable in live cd

so i changed the mode to uefi and re-installed q4 and halleluah i get 3.6 usable RAM finally

but q4 installation has overwritten the mbr and i dont get the  option to boot into windows anymore sad

please  help me get the ability to boot back into windows (if i ever need to - nice to have that option available)

i am skeptical to run the windows startup disk to correct mbr because it will invariably decimate/overwrite q4

so what can be done?

thanks

#29 2019-01-10 15:34

Dai_trying

If your machine is now set to UEFI boot (Not legacy or CSM) you will need to have Windows installed the same way

How was your machine set up when it had the original HDD?

#30 2019-01-10 15:41

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

sickpig wrote:

but q4 installation has overwritten the mbr and i dont get the  option to boot into windows anymore

Q4OS doesn't rewrite MBR, if you install it in UEFI mode. It only includes a record into the UEFI boot table. You can re-enable MBR by switching back to the legacy BIOS mode, but you will not be able to boot Q4OS installed in UEFI mode, as BIOS and UEFI booting are not possible alongside each other and cannot be mixed.

#31 2019-01-10 23:50

sickpig

so what i did in my infinite wisdom was to assign windows mbr partition as q4os uefi/boot one. not q40s fault, entirely mine. As a result i can boot only into q4os, which i absolutely love. Makes my pc run like its from 2022. but i would like to have the option to boot into windows if at all required(dont see any reason as of now but u never know)

i am searching for a solution to write windows uefi record to an empty fat32 partition that i have. hopefully it would give me the ability to select which os i can boot into.

if you have any recommendation about what needs to be done please share, i would be immensely grateful

#32 2019-01-11 00:36

Dai_trying

I can't really offer much advice on the Windows install/setup as I seldom use it now, but as your (Q4OS) system is quite fresh you could try the Windows startup disk and worst case scenario is you might have to re-install Q4OS (which is pretty quick and straight-forward) and with a little luck you will be good to go.

Alternatively you could just run Windows in a virtual environment, I have a Windows Xp appliance I use for a couple of old programs that are no longer available but I have rare occasion to use them and I can simply run it from within my Q4OS system in it's own window or full screen or I can even show both desktops overlayed (that takes some getting used to!). Plus using a VM (VirtualBox is probably easiest) you can test many different OS's without having to install them onto your computer. I use it mainly for testing software compatibility, I usually try installations in a VM before putting it onto my main installation to prevent clutter as much as possible.

#33 2019-01-11 04:43

sickpig

Ok mate thats what I shall do
i have got my windows install disk ready
will try to create windows efi on a separate partition once off from work

one thing i have observed about using scorpion in vm is that the smooth scrolling in browsers does not work
also video is choppy
but none of those issues are present when you actually install it
i reckon to get a proper experience you have to install on real hardware...

Last edited by sickpig (2019-01-11 04:44)

#34 2019-01-11 11:12

Dai_trying

sickpig wrote:

one thing i have observed about using scorpion in vm is that the smooth scrolling in browsers does not work
also video is choppy
but none of those issues are present when you actually install it
i reckon to get a proper experience you have to install on real hardware...

Definitely agree, my testing in VM's is mainly for stability and compatibility but the most benefit to any OS is on real hardware.

#35 2019-07-18 05:58

sickpig

just closing the loop
start of the year i moved to q4os before moving on to debian, but during the initial install due to lack of my knowledge i bricked my windows boot.
i just solved it by following https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win … e572d546df
this reinstalled the windows boot entries to the uefi partition but killed grub
then i did grub-install command with --boot-directory= and --efi-directory= options. and got my grub back
so now finally i got both the OSes to boot as i wanted
just sharing if someone with similar issues stumbles on this thread

Board footer