You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-22 17:04

jackdanielsesq

Thunderbird

Seasons greetings ...

TB 60.xx was inadvertently installed on a recent upgrade - none of my critical addons work any more
Need to re-install 52.8.01 again, which has now disappeared from the repos - thanks in advance

Regards

Jack

#2 2018-12-22 19:34

chris_elvidge

Re: Thunderbird

I went back to 52.2.1 for the same reason. Try here:
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

#3 2018-12-22 20:39

jackdanielsesq

Hi Chris..

I have the deb file also, but will not install - dll-hell, as it were
How did you install yours?

Regards

Jack-

chris_elvidge wrote:

I went back to 52.2.1 for the same reason. Try here:
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

#4 2018-12-24 08:25

jackdanielsesq

Anybody ...
Bin?

#5 2018-12-24 10:42

Dai_trying

I usually keep my browser current as it is often the security weakpoint of most systems.
If it were me I would try to find alternative add-ons for the newer version or maybe use Pale-moon (a firefox fork) which still uses the old style add-ons although I understand that some might not be compatible so YMMV.

#6 2018-12-25 09:48

jackdanielsesq

TB is not a browser

#7 2018-12-25 10:04

Dai_trying

Doh! please excuse my stupidity it seems to increase at this time of year! Merry Xmas! big_smile

#8 2018-12-25 11:47

jackdanielsesq

Do not understand why the Q4OS devs dont simply restore TB 52.8 back into the repo
Why did they even remove it - it it aint broken, dont fix it

Regards

Jack

Dai_trying wrote:

Doh! please excuse my stupidity it seems to increase at this time of year! Merry Xmas! big_smile

Attachments:
gif santa.gif, Size: 249.01 KiB, Downloads: 889

#9 2018-12-30 04:13

tlmiller76

jackdanielsesq wrote:

Do not understand why the Q4OS devs dont simply restore TB 52.8 back into the repo
Why did they even remove it - it it aint broken, dont fix it

Regards

Jack

Dai_trying wrote:

Because 52.anything is EOL and no longer supported with security patches, and most users (such as myself) have no desire to use software that doesn't get security updates.  If the Devs of any linux-based OS ever dared do something so foolish as to roll back to a EOL version of software I would immediately abandon any OS that was so irresponsible, as would any security-concious user.  If individual users want to use software that isn't supported, that's fine.  But distro maintainers should never even consider it.

Last edited by tlmiller76 (2018-12-30 04:14)

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#10 2018-12-30 11:10

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Debian has moved to the new Thunderbird version, thanks tlmiller76 for the clear explanation.

#11 2018-12-31 07:18

bin

Jack

If you haven't sorted this you may want to take a look at SeaMonkey - see this thread for a bit of info about installation.
http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2456

I use if for email only - of course opening links from emails either opens in the browser module or copy and paste to browser of choice - I use Slimjet these days. SeaMonkey is configurable to start with the email module rather than the browser if required.

The problem is that it does not import Tbird profiles directly so switching depends on how your present setup works.
e.g. I'm on gmail so it's just IMAP and I don't have any local rules or filters, nor do I keep local mailbox files.
Address book is not too large and was handled via csv export from gmail and Tbird
It will of course import mbox files if required.

Hope this helps a bit - Happy New Year!

bin

#12 2019-01-12 09:53

jackdanielsesq

Gentlemen

We have >60 instances of Q4OS+TDE+KDE5 installed - all running TB52.xx
We had hoped to install another 40x instances early in the new year
We have subsequently deleted the instance above that was running TB60.xx

In incubation we have 6x O/S's - 2x DEB O/S, 2x RPM O/S, 2x hand rolled O/S
All are running TB52.xx - several were updated within 24 hrs to TB52.yy
Two more have TB52.yy upgrades pending

'Nix is all about choices - why purposely alienate 80% of installed TB base

Apologies for the delay - been extremely busy

Kindly see att file

Regards

Jack

Attachments:
jpg scr244.jpg, Size: 96.16 KiB, Downloads: 464

#13 2019-01-12 12:49

Dai_trying

There are options to prevent upgrades to certain packages but the fact that you want to use a package that will only become more insecure as time passes means you do not think security is an issue, personally I would look for a way to have the required addons (or equivalents) for the newer supported version (with security updates) rather than use obsolete software...

Linux is about choice, but security must be a priority concern when providing software for the masses, if you choose to override this then you must be on your own. I do not think anybody has alienated 80% of Thunderbird users, if that were the case I truly believe Mozilla would have changed it because no viable concern could lose 80% of their user base without serious fallout!

#14 2019-01-12 12:55

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could "put package on hold" to prevent it from being updated, please see http://www.debianadmin.com/how-to-preve … ebian.html . Keep in mind, as a side effect, you might hold some dependencies as well.

#15 2019-01-12 14:19

jackdanielsesq

The TB package was a 'Lock Version' until the KDE5 reload overrode it
It might not be real evident from the included shot - all our existing
instances are covered the same way ...

Jack

q4osteam wrote:

You could "put package on hold" to prevent it from being updated, please see http://www.debianadmin.com/how-to-preve … ebian.html . Keep in mind, as a side effect, you might hold some dependencies as well.

#16 2019-01-12 14:26

jackdanielsesq

By your metric, the maintainers and devs from the 6x O/S that we have in
incubation clearly do not care about security either ... wrong ... again

Jack

Dai_trying wrote:

There are options to prevent upgrades to certain packages but the fact that you want to use a package that will only become more insecure as time passes means you do not think security is an issue, personally I would look for a way to have the required addons (or equivalents) for the newer supported version (with security updates) rather than use obsolete software...

Linux is about choice, but security must be a priority concern when providing software for the masses, if you choose to override this then you must be on your own. I do not think anybody has alienated 80% of Thunderbird users, if that were the case I truly believe Mozilla would have changed it because no viable concern could lose 80% of their user base without serious fallout!

Last edited by jackdanielsesq (2019-01-12 14:26)

#17 2019-01-12 14:51

jackdanielsesq

Bin

Thank you kindly, Sir

Strangely, I downloaded SeaMonkey a couple weeks ago to look at their WYSIWYG
editor - Composer - which is a little more accurate than the unsupported Kompser
that I occasionally use when fleshing-out a new webpage - its quicker at depth and
perspective than coding it all in-situ using Leafpad, et al...

I shall revisit that possibility - thank you -  HNY2U2

Best Regards

Jack

bin wrote:

Jack

If you haven't sorted this you may want to take a look at SeaMonkey - see this thread for a bit of info about installation.
http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2456

I use if for email only - of course opening links from emails either opens in the browser module or copy and paste to browser of choice - I use Slimjet these days. SeaMonkey is configurable to start with the email module rather than the browser if required.

The problem is that it does not import Tbird profiles directly so switching depends on how your present setup works.
e.g. I'm on gmail so it's just IMAP and I don't have any local rules or filters, nor do I keep local mailbox files.
Address book is not too large and was handled via csv export from gmail and Tbird
It will of course import mbox files if required.

Hope this helps a bit - Happy New Year!

bin

#18 2019-01-12 15:29

Dai_trying

jackdanielsesq wrote:

By your metric, the maintainers and devs from the 6x O/S that we have in
incubation clearly do not care about security either ... wrong ... again

Jack

If they care for security then they must have their own devs working on it, obviously they are not Q4OS or Debian (but might be Debian based).

Would you care to share which 6 OS's they are?

Board footer