You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-15 09:27

Jerome

Can't install wine-gecko

I would like to create a windows help file and I have (linux) software for creating a chm file from a number of html files but Wine doesn't give me the option to install wine-gecko (the html rendering package) after installing it. I know there is xchm but that is linux software, and I want to test the help file using the native windows "hh" command, which opens chm files in windows.

Apparently libwine-gecko was available in Jessie, but it's not available in stretch. I've tried downloading wine-gecko from the Wine site (https://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko), but I'm still getting an error when I try to run hh from wine -

Could not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
err:mshtml:HTMLDocument_Create Failed to init Gecko, returning CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE

Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 2018-02-15 11:05

Dai_trying

Re: Can't install wine-gecko

I've almost no experience with wine, but I always have a Windows virtual machine that I use for when I have to test (or use) something in that environment, maybe that would be an easier option.

#3 2018-02-15 11:57

Jerome

Yes, ideally it would be better to test in a "real" windows environment, but I don't have any Windows installation CD. I guess you can pick up a cheap copy of XP these days though, which would be good enough for my purposes.

UPDATE: problem solved. I was using the wrong msi for my version of Wine.

Last edited by Jerome (2018-02-15 15:06)

#4 2018-02-15 16:32

Dai_trying

I have an old version of Xp that is registered and has Service Pack 3 installed, I made a VM from it and got it all set up and then exported it as an appliance and now if I need a clean Version for testing I can just load up a new instance of it. I don't give it any internet access though, I just have it connected to a "host-only" adapter to enable me to communicate through a terminal if needed.

Good to hear you got it solved though. smile

Board footer