You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-14 12:09

Dai_trying

Automatically copy camera sd card to laptop

Hi all, I was wondering what other users might do to make this happen, On my other distro's I do it using the following steps:-

1. create udev script (using unique identifier) to mount sd card (via bash script)
2. create script using rsync to copy files to Pictures directory
3. fire script 2 from udev fired bash script (using "at" to prevent locking udev)

I have checks in the scripts to ensure everything works correctly, but thought there may be an easier or more q4os type solution for this.

On windows (as I recall) when disks (usb/sd) were inserted I was given an option to automatically do this.

I have set the sd card I am using to automatically mount so that is part of the solution, so just left with the copy part really.

I could just use the same (slightly modified for kdialog) script, but wondered if there is a gui way to achieve this.

any suggestions welcome.

Dai

#2 2016-01-14 14:47

MC

Re: Automatically copy camera sd card to laptop

Dai_trying wrote:

wondered if there is a gui way to achieve this.

Hi Dai. Unless you would rather stick with pure K provided in Q4OS, you could install and try Thunar File Manager. It has a GUI for setting up how removable media is handled.
image.png

Last edited by MC (2016-01-14 14:47)

Q4OS running Xfce

#3 2016-01-14 15:01

Dai_trying

Thanks MC, I am really looking for a trinity solution and although this would do the trick it involves installing another program. I could also do it with my existing script attached to a udev event.
I might end up using this solution though, as it certainly is gui. Thanks again

Dai

#4 2016-01-15 08:07

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai, TDE knows to arrange what you need. You can define custom 'on plug' device actions in Control Panel -> Peripherals -> Storage Media -> Add button. You will need to create a shell script to copy all .jpg .jpeg .png files from attached media to desired directory and assign it as 'Command' to 'Unmounted removable media'.

It is nice feature, we have decided to create mentioned script and integrate it into Q4OS as defined action. When user will plug a device, there will be action available to copy all photographs. It could be ready for Q4OS in one month.

The alternative is to install 'digikam-trinity', it will add the feature as well, follow this:
$ sudo qrepoadd trinity
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install digikam-trinity
Plug a SD card, pop up 'action' window will appear, there should be an option to copy photographs to digikam database.

#5 2016-01-15 10:20

Dai_trying

Thanks Q4os team, I tried the first option, but when I click on Control Center->Peripherals->Storage Media I am given this error popup

error1

I wouldn't have thought I had to install xfce but then again stranger things have been known.

I will give digikam a try and see how that goes.

Tried digikam but got no popup and could only upload manually. I will do another fresh install and try again...

Dai

Last edited by Dai_trying (2016-01-15 10:45)

#6 2016-01-15 10:43

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

I am given this error popup

You probably need to remove 'xfce4-panel' to get TDE control panel to work.
$ sudo apt-get remove xfce4-panel

#7 2016-01-15 10:49

Dai_trying

That worked thanks, I am out of time for now though. I will have another look at that later, Thanks again

Dai

Board footer