You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-05 21:30

Cliff_G

Help please finding a Backup program?

Finding it difficult to identify a suitable backup program in Synaptic.

What I want is (simply: a clone of Acronis TrueImage):

Required:
- back a single laptop PC hard drive to a removable USB hard drive
- full image backup of partition or partitions
- backup on a file basis so I can restore single files if necessary
- restore included

Preferred:
- full and incremental options
- compression

Not really necessary but OK if it's there:
- encryption

Thanks in advance

#2 2017-11-05 22:30

crosscourt
Website

Re: Help please finding a Backup program?

Look at these and see what you think,  www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/

www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-methods-to-clone-your-linux-hard-drive/

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-11-05 22:32)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2017-11-06 07:58

bin

Whilst not fulfilling all your requirements, fwbackups is a very user friendly app. I came across it over at MX Linux and am now using it for regular file back operations.
It has recently had a facelift and though not seeing day to day maintenance, bugs are fixed as needed.
I've attached a deb file.
In short it does what you're looking for except for the image side.
Systemback is brilliant for that - again not active but does a great job of creating installable image files.
I think that is still in the Q4OS experimental section.

Attachments:
deb fwbackups_1.43.6-1mx15+1_all.deb, Size: 187.62 KiB, Downloads: 894

#4 2017-11-06 08:43

Cliff_G

Thanks both, will look through those

#5 2017-11-06 15:43

Cliff_G

Well, total fail I'm afraid

fwbackups looks like what I want but the install procedure is horrid.  As it's not in the repository I have to first find out whether I've got a bunch of stuff present (python and a bunch of others - presumably these are the "dependencies" which a full installer will check for and then load if not resent), then etc etc etc at the Terminal (see diffingo.com/oss/fwbackups/documentation/installation).  I am sure I could work it out, but simply don't want to.  This is not newbie friendly.

The only one I can easily identify from the tecmint.com site that is in the Q4OS repository is bareos, but when I tried to install that I got a bunch of questions that I didn't know how to answer and the install failed.

#6 2017-11-06 20:54

Dai_trying

My backups mainly consist of using rsync to backup all my data to flash drives (or external HDD's depending which backup I'm doing), I don't usually backup the system as I can have a fully reloaded system with all the software I want in less than 1 hour, so in the event of a total hdd failure I would only lose very little data (since last backup), I don't make too many changes to the default desktop as I like a pretty clean display and the default one works for me, so once installed i only have to change the menu layout (q4os classic) and set a few things in TDEPowersave (for the laptop) set my wallpaper and create symlinks in my $HOME to my data partition (I keep my bin, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Videos and a few other folders on a separate partition) and I have pretty much the same system back again.

If you just want to backup your own data there are many options to choose from but most Linux offerings will need to be set-up for your system and the biggest reason for this is the amount of options you have over where your own data lives, you can configure everything (almost) to be where you want it and structured how you want it. The result is that it would be almost impossible to have a backup program that will archive all your data without first knowing where you put it and how it is being stored or some other configuration options you may have changed to be to your own liking. That's linux! you get all the choices you want (and more) so no package could know what you want to save and what you don't without some configuration.

I do think this (and other options) tends to put off a lot of potential windows users from Linux as they are used to having everything done without having to think about it too much (if at all) and with Linux you have to think. Most users just want a computer in front of them that just works (which linux does admirably IMO) but then they decide they want to use some of these options that are available but without reading man pages or researching on google and then all of a sudden something doesn't work and it's Linux's fault for allowing them to change this, that or the other... result =  broken system + windows install disc re-inserted + moan when a virus pops up... Life eh!

#7 2017-11-06 21:20

Cliff_G

Much of what you say is the reason I just do simple image backups of the whole disc, that way you don't have to worry.  Data is backed up regardless of where it is, and "system" changes (preferences/add-ons etc to e-mail, browser, desktop, etc etc etc) all get captured too.  If you just lose a data file, you go fetch it, if something more, you restore just the partition necessary:

On a Win machine I usually partition the disc and have all current data on E: and archive old data on F:, that way I can backup the system on C: , or data as required, but tbh 99% of my backups are C+E+F all in one.  Takes a while but I kick it off before bed usually.  Then I rotate backups so I can go a way back if necc.

For this additional Linux machine I would keep it simple and just backup the whole disc.

As for not wanting to think - I certainly don't want to think the way Microsoft want you to think!!  wink  That's why I never got caught by: W2000, Vista, W8 or W10  wink    Years in system support for real-time control systems running hazardous plant taught me the wisdom of not being an early adopter!   But there's a difference between not wanting to think and having to strain your brain to do something which should be simple

I'll maybe have a better look at rsync.

#8 2017-11-06 21:32

Dai_trying

rsync and a bash script can do all your backup needs in not a lot of time. Also I recall some time back there was a post with some information about using incremental backups with rsync but I don't recall who posted it or many details but I'm sure a google of incremental backups rsync would yield plenty of worthwhile reading for you. smile

#9 2017-11-06 21:47

Cliff_G

yep, thanks, the rsync site has some examples as well.

#10 2017-11-06 21:59

Cliff_G

Nah. Give up.  Way too hard.  Some good stuff at www.linux.com/news/back-expert-rsync  but for example the discussion on the trailing / shows the level of understanding you need.  Now, if I wanted to become a Linux / rsync expert I would get into it, and I assure you I have the ability to, just that I have better things to do with my precious hours.

Not wanting to raise hackles, but this is exactly the sort of thing that turns people off Linux.  I want to do a **** backup, that's all!  I could even do a command window backup in Windows easier that this.

Think I'm going to load Xubuntu as an alternative boot and compare.

#11 2017-11-06 22:09

Dai_trying

The software available is very similar although the Buntus do have a few of their own, If you want a full system backup you could always use dd but it can be VERY destructive if used wrongly but can create a complete backup to suitably sized external drive which could then be used to simply swap drives in the event of failure.

#12 2017-11-06 23:20

crosscourt
Website

Linux is so easy to install I just backup necessary files and thats it. I use external storage as well as an online source to keep those files safe till I need them.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#13 2017-11-07 07:00

bin

Cliff_G wrote:

Well, total fail I'm afraid

fwbackups looks like what I want but the install procedure is horrid.  As it's not in the repository I have to first find out whether I've got a bunch of stuff present (python and a bunch of others - presumably these are the "dependencies" which a full installer will check for and then load if not resent), then etc etc etc at the Terminal (see diffingo.com/oss/fwbackups/documentation/installation).  I am sure I could work it out, but simply don't want to.  This is not newbie friendly.

The only one I can easily identify from the tecmint.com site that is in the Q4OS repository is bareos, but when I tried to install that I got a bunch of questions that I didn't know how to answer and the install failed.

1. Install gdebi (sudo apt-get install gdebi) - this is a tool which helps install non-repo based apps.
2. Right Click on .deb file - Open with gdebi
3. It will go off and get the dependencies and install them and the application.
4. There is no terminal activity required - what you are looking at is what can be done if you want - fwbackups is a pure GUI tool.

#14 2017-11-09 14:23

Cliff_G

Thanks.

#15 2017-12-21 05:49

jackdanielsesq

bin wrote:

Whilst not fulfilling all your requirements, fwbackups is a very user friendly app. I came across it over at MX Linux and am now using it for regular file back operations.
It has recently had a facelift and though not seeing day to day maintenance, bugs are fixed as needed.
I've attached a deb file.
In short it does what you're looking for except for the image side.

Thanks [again] - was just pondering a decent back-up strategy having successfully installed [fresh] both TDE + KDE5
Will revert ASAP

Jack

#16 2017-12-21 07:54

bin

A lot depends on the amount of data you have to back up.
I have about 50gb of stuff - much of it is static, most of it is photos.
The static stuff I have on a couple of external hard drives as just straight file copies.
The stuff that changes is backed up once a week just for safety.
I have gone back to using Back in Time (backintime-qt4 in the Synaptic) as I prefer the finer control it gives.

TBH for system restores I reckon it is cleaner in the long run to just reinstall.
I have a text file built from bits of .bash_history over the years with a list of installs of the additional bits I use.

I do keep a file copy of /var/cache/apt/archive so that if I need to re-install I'll have the bulk of the files needed for updates etc. I just copy these back to that location after re-install and before running any updates etc.

#17 2017-12-21 23:07

crosscourt
Website

Reinstall is so fast, so just keep what you need backed up.

Board footer