You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-29 08:29

bin

Wireless always soft-blocked by rfkill

Following on from this topic

http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=286

I have discovered that when using the 3.16 kernel my wifi is always soft blocked at boot by rfkill.
Simply doing:-

sudo rfkill unblock wifi

in a terminal is enough to start wireless.
I have tried adding:-

rfkill unblock wifi

to /etc/rc.local as the last line before exit 0 but that does not make any difference.
I have removed the installed wireless drivers and install the older b43 components instead as this laptop is an oldish HP with the BCM4311 chip. I didn't expect that to make a difference and it hasn't
One possible solution would be to create a .desktop file to run that command in autostart.

What puzzles me is that in the past with Q4 I had to use a later kernel to get round conflicts with sound and wireless. That was normally a 3.19 or 4.1 image.
Sadly the later images now cause my fan to go into hyperdrive so they're out of the question now. The Liquorix kernel around 4.1 also worked fine.

I would mention that this issue only arises in Debian Jessie, all 'buntus are not affected up to 14.04 - presumably the use of systemd may have something to do with it.

#2 2016-01-29 09:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Wireless always soft-blocked by rfkill

You could try to add some delay 'sleep 10' before rfkill command into to '/etc/rc.local' or add rfkill into the user's Autostart '/home/username/.trintity/Autostart'
We recommend to use the default Jessie kernel, if possible.

bin wrote:

I would mention that this issue only arises in Debian Jessie, all 'buntus are not affected up to 14.04 - presumably the use of systemd may have something to do with it.

Yes, it is probably related to systemd.

#3 2016-01-30 08:52

bin

Well, that was a bit of a runaround.

In the end the only way I have been able to get this to work is to add the following to /etc/rc.local

sh -c "sleep 10 && rfkill unblock wifi" &

This is extremely dull and reminds me of the bad old days of just trying to get a PCMCIA wireless card going before the days of built in wireless smile

#4 2016-01-30 15:05

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You can add unblock command
'echo "type-your-password-here" | sudo -S rfkill unblock wifi'
into the user's autostart
'/home/username/.trintity/Autostart'

#5 2016-01-30 16:57

bin

Thank you. Indeed you can and I was using that to make sure that the connection was surviving reboot etc, but it does involve leaving the root password in plain text in a user folder.

Calculated risk........one could argue that if your system has been compromised to a point where an intruder can read that file then it's probably too late anyway smile

Board footer