but no icon appeared on screen
not listed in menu also

and this issue with absent icons not the first time

have no idea what to do

plz help

#2 2019-07-06 08:43

Dai_trying

Re: no icon of installed program

I can't see vidcutter in the repositories, where (and how) did you install it from?

EDIT:
It looks like you have not installed this package, I think you are in the same situation as you were with losslesscut in this post. If you want to install a package use apt/apt-get/synaptic/aptitude/software centre but installing random packages from sourceforge/github/random web site will usually not give you a proper installation...

Last edited by Dai_trying (2019-07-06 09:36)

#3 2019-07-06 10:17

antares

https://snapcraft.io/install/vidcutter/debian

used these two commands

terminal showed long running list of packages

and sort of notification that soft is installed after

such a problem appeared several times also with soft from synaptic earlier as well

why wish to clarify this point for future installations

namely how to recall (move to desktop) an icon from synaptic's soft

when it is not anywhere in menu even in " new applications"

as for lossless it was a disappointment (why wanted to check vidcutter)
second point to cut sets well
but the first one often floats and always cuts much earlier
although tried in various ways both on the run and motionless
and strangly does not want to recut in needed point already cut clip
how can it be explained?

Last edited by antares (2019-07-06 10:23)

#4 2019-07-06 11:57

Dai_trying

Generally speaking snap packages should work but if there are problems it is likely the developers of it have not tested with this distro and your best (and fastest?) way to get it fixed would be to speak to the developers. I don't use them for security reasons and cannot test it for you.

If you install a package that does not have a GUI then it will not have a menu entry, as there is no Graphical User Interface to be displayed, things like unzip, unrar, 7zip alien (mentioned in your previous post regarding desktop icons) are run from the command line (terminal) and have no GUI.

Losslesscut problems would have to be discussed with the developer MiFi (Mikael) the package was last updated 23 days ago so is in active development.

To create a launcher for any application on your desktop you can right click and select Create New -> Link to Application and enter the name and location of the package, this usually works even with non-gui applications (you can set it to run in a terminal)

WRT Video editing, Have you tried any of these?

• flowblade

• gopchop

• kdenlive

• kino

• lives

• olive-editor

• openshot

• pitivi

All above are available from normal repositories and as such are tested and will install to give you menu entries and such forth. If you are installing from sourceforge/github/website you should probably ask there if you have a problem, this is in no way Q4OS specific and I do not want to have to install alien software to be able to troubleshoot it.

#5 2019-07-06 17:53

JimW

you can also do a lot of video editing with ffmpeg. No gui and steep learning curve, but is an option.

#6 2019-07-06 18:03

Dai_trying

Couldn't agree more, I use FFMPEG a lot and have found it to be excellent, but I think the OP wants a GUI based on the packages attempted so far.

Board footer