You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-09 15:35

JimW

*SOLVED* How to add category to menu

I installed the program 'chirp' via synaptic. It's category is 'ham radio' but that category does not exist on my applications menu, so chirp is found under 'lost and found'.
So how can I add 'ham radio' to my applications menu and move chirp (and others ham related, like gpredict) to the ham radio menu?

Last edited by JimW (2019-02-10 00:23)

#2 2019-02-09 16:47

Dai_trying

Re: *SOLVED* How to add category to menu

You need to edit the /usr/share/applications/chirp.desktop file to reflect the categories and locations in the menu, the easiest way would be to find the desktop file for an application that is correctly placed and copy the Categories= line from that file.

EDIT: files must adhere to specifications though, some info here
It is also possible to create alternative menu's like I have for my own applications (and also for Q4OS application uninstallers) but that might need an installer to be created just to supply a desktop file for that program and might be a bit more work involved than you would want.
There might also be a really simple way to do this but that would likely have to come from the devs smile

Last edited by Dai_trying (2019-02-09 17:12)

#3 2019-02-09 17:44

JimW

Under usr/share/applications
chirp.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Exec=chirpw %F
Icon=chirp.png
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Categories=Application;HamRadio
MimeType=inode/directory
Name=CHIRP
Comment=CHIRP Radio Programming Tool
GenericName=CHIRP Radio Programming Tool
Keywords=Hamradio;Programming;Handheld;Radio;Amateur;Programmer

there is no 'HamRadio' category, so it gets placed under 'Lost and Found'
GnomePredict (gpredict) is under 'Edutainment/Science'
I guess I could put Chirp there also by copying the Categories line from GnomePredict and over-writing the Categories in chirp.desktop.

#4 2019-02-09 18:02

Dai_trying

Yes that should work, I noticed that HamRadio shows in the additional categories section of the specifications which can be used in either Audio or Network category, but it does not seem to create a sub-category so not sure if that will be helpful or not...

#5 2019-02-10 00:03

JimW

Chirp went to "Lost and Found". I had a hard time finding it when I first installed! smile

Edit to add:
Ok, copied categories from gpredict.desktop and pasted them in chirp.desktop (on the categories line). Chirp now shows with gpredict after reboot.

Last edited by JimW (2019-02-10 00:21)

#6 2019-02-10 00:22

JimW

I'm marking this as solved, altho it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it does work! smile

Board footer