You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-19 20:02

Rademes

Playing local Shockwave Flash files

I had some problems with playing Shockwave Flash (.swf) files which were saved on my hard disc. They did not wanted to run on Firefox and Google Chrome, both browsers have Adobe Flash Player plugins installed. Firefox has Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.559 installed.
After modifying File Association settings like shown in attachment (adding *.swfl), Firefox started to play local .swf files perfectly. So, can you make such setting as default setting, because some people prefer to play flash games saved on local disc, not visit every time site with ads.
Now, the bad thing is, that Google Chrome even after modifying File Association settings does not playing local .swf files. It offers to save file and that`s all. Is it possible to force Google Chrome to play these files too?
I searched answer to this problem here.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-01-19 20:10)

Attachments:
png SWF2.png, Size: 71.65 KiB, Downloads: 822

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#2 2016-01-19 20:40

bobby
Website

Re: Playing local Shockwave Flash files

Found it: Menu Start Button --> Control Panel --> Settings --> Confiqure Konqueror --> File Extensions --> (click +) Application

Scrolled down to "x-shockwave-flash

Its already in V 1.4.5

But, I did add extension *.swfl  like you did.

My Computer slows to a crawl. Chrome becomes unresponsive. It happens when I go to a site that has a flashplayer start automatically. No all of the time though.

I have to reboot my computer to fix it.

If I change to a new session, the desktop icons wont' load.

Adobe Sucks ! but, it caused me to search out and find Q4OS.

Bobby

added-swfl-extension.jpg

No Longer Using Q4OS

#3 2016-01-20 01:09

bobby
Website

Q4OS Team, there is a major problem with the Flash Player Plugin produced by Adobe in Firefox and Google Chrome.  Its these ads like on facebook that utilize flash and auto start, they take my system in to a black hole.

Is there a way to disable flash to not play automatically at the Desktop Level so flash won't play in a browser unless approved by the user ?

Thanks,

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2016-01-20 09:59

Rademes

Bobby, have you tried Flashblock, No Flash or FlashDisable from Firefox add-ons? To remove ads use uBlock Origin or AdBlock Plus also from Firefox add-ons.
uBlock Origin is the best add-on for removing ads. You can even manually remove ads, inserted in flash video.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-01-20 10:05)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#5 2016-01-20 10:00

Dai_trying

@bobby I don't know if this will help, but in firefox I use an add-on called ghostery which blocks many (but not all) adverts by (I think) disabling cookies for tracking sites, it is customizable in as much as you can decide which ones to block and allow. It might help with the flash adverts it did for me. As for Chrome, I don't use it so cannot offer anyhing for that one...

Dai

#6 2016-01-20 10:25

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bobby wrote:

Is there a way to disable flash to not play automatically at the Desktop Level

The best options by our meaning -
Chrome: Install uBlock extension
Firefox: Figure out flashplugin add-on in it's preferences to not auto-run, but on click. This is the default setting in Q4OS after Firefox installation.

Bobby, please try to keep clear context in 'Q4OS Support' threads. You can start new thread, if you want to solve issue not related directly to the original question. Thank you.

#7 2016-01-20 10:41

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Rademes wrote:

I had some problems with playing Shockwave Flash (.swf) files which were saved on my hard disc. They did not wanted to run on Firefox and Google Chrome, both browsers have Adobe Flash Player plugins installed. Firefox has Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.559 installed.
After modifying File Association settings like shown in attachment (adding *.swfl), Firefox started to play local .swf files perfectly. So, can you make such setting as default setting, because some people prefer to play flash games saved on local disc, not visit every time site with ads.
Now, the bad thing is, that Google Chrome even after modifying File Association settings does not playing local .swf files. It offers to save file and that`s all. Is it possible to force Google Chrome to play these files too?
I searched answer to this problem here.

Thank you for findings. We will try to research this and update default Q4OS settings, if appropriate. We will give some information here, if there will be any progress.

#8 2016-01-20 13:23

Rademes

VLC player refuses to run swf flash games at all. They do not even start.

#9 2016-01-20 17:08

bobby
Website

q4osteam wrote:

Bobby, please try to keep clear context in 'Q4OS Support' threads. You can start new thread, if you want to solve issue not related directly to the original question. Thank you.

Thank You for reminding me, will do from now on.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#10 2016-01-20 23:44

bobby
Website

q4osteam wrote:
bobby wrote:

Is there a way to disable flash to not play automatically at the Desktop Level

The best options by our meaning -
Chrome: Install uBlock extension......."

And I could not agree more.  This did the job and stopped problems browsing with Chrome.

I installed the Ublock extension in Chrome and problems stopped. On just one page 50 items were blocked. (see image below)

Thank You Q4OS Team for recommending UBlock Extension for Chrome. Everyone Chrome user should use it too.

Now I can accomplish more without frustration.

Bobby

ublock-works.png

No Longer Using Q4OS

#11 2016-01-24 18:55

Rademes

Some bad news. The method described in the first post does not working with Iceweasel. When I try to open *.swf file it offers me to save it or to play using VLC. Flashplugin is installed and working well.

#12 2016-01-24 19:31

MC

Is this what you tried?

Edit /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml as root and replace the following: 
<mime-type type="application/vnd.adobe.flash.movie">

With:

<mime-type type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

And then run:

sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

Because this is what I used a long time ago on Iceweasel and it work perfectly. The link you posted just happened to the the same one I found back then.

HOWEVER, I don't have Iceweasel on my Q4OS system...for some reason it crashes the whole system just opening it. (I think it is due to the on-board graphics of this motherboard.) On my other Debian stable systems, it works perfectly on the most current version of Iceweasel.

Last edited by MC (2016-01-24 19:37)

Q4OS running Xfce

#13 2016-01-24 20:23

Rademes

Solved the problem using another method described there:

"Another option is to create ~/.mime.types in the home directory with following content:

application/x-shockwave-flash swf swfl

This way it will not get overwritten on system upgrade."

There is no need to run update-mime-database with this method, having this file in the home directory should be sufficient.
Some users said, that this method is better and simpler than previous.
It works!!!

Last edited by Rademes (2016-01-24 20:30)

#14 2016-01-24 20:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Rademes, what about Chrome and Chromium did you try some with this new method ?

#15 2016-01-25 13:30

Rademes

No, Google Chrome still offers to save (download) *.swf file only, but it does not start it.
I don`t use Chromium, I think it is unsafe browser.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-01-25 13:33)

Attachments:
png ChromeSWF1.png, Size: 69.63 KiB, Downloads: 780

#16 2016-01-26 11:14

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Rademes, we have investigated a bit, here are some partial results:

1. Icewaeasel
- clean Q4OS installation, pure desktop profile applied
- install iceweasel + adobe flashplugin: 'sudo apt-get install iceweasel flashplugin-nonfree'
Result Ok: local .swf plays fine, no additional actions needed

2. Firefox
- install Firefox from Q4OS software centre
Result Ok: local .swf plays fine, no additional actions needed

3. Google Chrome
- install Google Chrome from Q4OS software centre
Result Fail: local swf refuses to play
It is related to this bugreport:
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu … ?id=369015
We have successfully fixed this way:
Edit /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml file and change
<mime-type type="application/vnd.adobe.flash.movie">
to
<mime-type type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
and then run
sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

Testing 'test.swf' file attached

Attachments:
swf test.swf, Size: 75.57 KiB, Downloads: 985

#17 2016-01-26 12:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We suggest a clean way to enable to play local swf files in Google Chrome and Chromium browsers:
- copy attached file 'application-x-shockwaveq4.xml' into the '/home/user-name/.local/share/mime/packages/' folder, run in terminal:
$ mkdir -p /home/user-name/.local/share/mime/packages/
$ cp application-x-shockwaveq4.xml /home/user-name/.local/share/mime/packages/
$ update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime

We will fix this issue in the next Q4OS release.

Playing local swf in Iceweasel and Firefox works fine on our testing platforms.

Attachments:
xml application-x-shockwaveq4.xml, Size: 3.34 KiB, Downloads: 1,473

#18 2016-01-26 14:11

MC

I just tried this on Slimjet. It works perfectly! Thanks for the info. smile

Q4OS running Xfce

#19 2016-01-26 17:34

Rademes

Now works perfectly in Google Chrome too! Thank you!

#20 2016-01-27 10:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The patch is included in Q4OS, now. Chrome, Firefox and Iceweasel will play local swf out of the box after update.

#21 2016-01-27 13:59

Rademes

Good Job! cool

Board footer