You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-18 11:13

kirill

How to disable one monitor on a laptop?

Hello! Sorry for the bad English.
stalled the LATEST q4os release on Acer V3-772g laptop. Connected to the laptop monitor via HDMI. The second monitor expands the first. I just need an external monitor to work. The laptop monitor should turn off. When you close the lid, the computer should not go into standby mode. How to do it?
Thanks.

#2 2018-09-18 13:51

Dai_trying

Re: How to disable one monitor on a laptop?

I haven't tested this on Q4OS but what I use on my MythBuntu setup is to disable the lid switch by editing /etc/systemd/logind.conf and change the line that reads

HandleLidSwitch=suspend

(this might be set to another option though) to read

HandleLidSwitch=ignore

and then when you close the lid it should simply switch off the laptop screen display.

There are also options in TdePowersave which will probably do the same thing but I'm not on my laptop right now so cannot check. smile

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-09-18 13:53)

#3 2018-09-18 15:39

kirill

Dai_trying wrote:

I haven't tested this on Q4OS but what I use on my MythBuntu setup is to disable the lid switch by editing /etc/systemd/logind.conf and change the line that reads

HandleLidSwitch=suspend

(this might be set to another option though) to read

HandleLidSwitch=ignore

and then when you close the lid it should simply switch off the laptop screen display.

There are also options in TdePowersave which will probably do the same thing but I'm not on my laptop right now so cannot check. =)

Thank you, but unfortunately, the advice didn't help.

#4 2018-09-18 15:49

Dai_trying

Did you look at the options in tdepowersave, it is usually installed by default on laptops and can be accessed by using the power icon in the system tray.

#5 2018-09-18 16:00

kirill

Dai_trying wrote:

Did you look at the options in tdepowersave, it is usually installed by default on laptops and can be accessed by using the power icon in the system tray.

I guess I misspelled it. I only need the external monitor to work. The built-in monitor must be turned off completely.

#6 2018-09-18 16:53

Dai_trying

I have connected my external display to my laptop and can use it as a second display, if I close the laptop lid it appears to lock the screen but moving the mouse allows it to wake up again and I can continue using it as my primary display, probably not ideal as I imagine you would want to use only the external monitor, but maybe the devs could offer some guidance here. smile

#7 2018-09-19 10:10

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could try to use the following directions:

$ xrandr --current
to get the right name of your VGA. This can be VGA, VGA-0, VGA1, VGA2 and others.

If the name of your VGA is, for example VGA2 (as you said), then run:
$ xrandr --auto && xrandr --output VGA2 --off
This should disable the output of VGA2.

See 'man xrandr' for more info.

Board footer