You are not logged in.

#51 2016-03-16 22:03

bobby
Website

Re: Need your feedback on Terminal vs Automated Installs & WinOS users

I'm having so much fun building and testing these automated scripts I just had to share my plan:

1. Build very simple micro GUI powered bash scripts that will run terminal commands for people who have not leaned how to run bash commands yet.

2. Let users  build on these scripts by placing the code on git as GPL opensource.

3. Move all my work from my q4os.net, myliveos.com, xplinux.com, etc websites to http://Q4Linux.com  so there is no confusion between Q4OS and my work at Q4Linux.

4. Secure code in all scripts (as binary) so I can assure Windows Users that these scripts are as secure as Windows EXE setup programs. (source code is available on Git)

5. Automate every terminal command that a new user is likely have to run.

6. Make esh and bash script installers for popular apps that are not available in debian jessie or Q4OS respositories. Once they become available via Q4OS Team or Debian Jessie repositories, then remove them from download.

These are what I want to work on at this time and its been the plan all along. I hope you all can support it.

Thanks, Bobby

q4-installer-image.png

No Longer Using Q4OS

#52 2016-03-16 22:14

Dai_trying

That'll be good to have all the information on one site, I'll be checking back regularly to see how it's all going. smile Are you going to have tutorials and howto's for new users too?

#53 2016-03-17 03:57

bobby
Website

@Dai, 

Tutorial's are on my list to do. PDF's will be on the website & Videos will be on Youtube and backlinked to website.  My first one I want to complete is one for Gparted Hard Drive Partition and considerations for only using only a single data Linux Ext4 partition or an additional partition for /home.  Still researching the pros and cons. Maybe you and others can chime in on why's and why not to use a /home partition. It would be helpful for me to have all points of views in my tutorials.

Thanks,

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#54 2016-03-17 08:41

Dai_trying

I have always used a single / partition when installing linux, I just find it easier to have everything together especially when multi-booting, although, there is a good argument for sharing some directories I have found it easier knowing exactly where all my os data is.
The only shared partition for me is swap, which I tend to keep at a modest level, usually mirroring the system RAM, although I've nearly always got a minimum of 2gb, and so adding a swap of the same size has been sufficient for my needs. I know many people would increase their swap quite a lot in excess of this, and there is more than likely pretty good reasons for doing so, I have never found my ram/swap requirements (especially with q4os) to be too low.
For example I have been using PyCharm recently, which (IMO) is a very greedy resource hog (around 500mb usually) but the system copes fine with it and rarely needs to send much to cache, even while simultaneously running web browser, audio player and a couple of terminals open.
I am pretty much a keep it simple kind of guy, I have found it usually (but not always) leads to less hassles.
HTH

Dai

#55 2016-03-18 00:44

bobby
Website

@Dai,

Thanks for feedback on use of single vs multi-partition.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#56 2016-03-18 00:45

bobby
Website

Reason for Update: Changed video after remove my Public LAN IP (Thanks JimW for keeping me safe!)

My Video of a Zenity GUI powered script to show user System Information without using the Terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJR1Np74euE

splash-image.png

zenity-pulsate-progress-bar.png

sysinfo-report.png

splash-finished-iimage.png

Last edited by bobby (2016-03-19 07:42)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#57 2016-03-18 02:56

JimW

Bobby,
May not be really necessary, but in your video you might want to either hide or spoof your external ip address. I think hackers and script kiddies look for that kind of info.
Not on the actual app itself, just on the video.

#58 2016-03-18 06:22

bobby
Website

JimW, THANKS - Big Time!  It was 2:30 am when I created this video and missed that. Will change immediately.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

Board footer