You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-27 22:51

gurdonark
Website

Solved: Difficulty detecting avchd files on SD card

I posted this item to try to solve why I could not see my Panasonic Lumix camera's video files on an SD card. The answer turned out to be the format of the video, AVCHD.  I edit now to set out the solutions that worked for me:

1. suggestion 1: reset your camera's video settings to record .mp4 rather than AVCHD. That will limit the issue to videos already taken.
2. suggestion 2: retrieving the videos: Go to the folder on the SD card Private. Copy the folder AVCHD and paste it into the project file you set up on your computer (for me, it is a sub-file of my video file, but of course your own file naming system is your own naming system).

Open a video editor  (I use OpenShot, but I suspect most will do).  Open AVCHD, then folder bdmv. Then open stream. Your video .mts files can be loaded into your video editor. Because you imported the entire AVCHD file, the other elements you need to run the
film in your editor will be available. Edit and export as normal.

Original question:

I shoot pictures and video on a Panasonic Lumix DMZ FZ70 camera.  I then mount the SD card on my operating system, and import those pictures I wish to keep to my computer.

Today I shot a couple of videos in AVCHD format with the camera. I wish to import those videos into my Q4OS system. The SD card mounts, and the .jpeg stills show up in the DCIM file. But the AVCHD files do not show up in DCIM, private or any other folder on my SD card when I look using:
Eye of Mate
Konqueror
VLC

When I set up my q4OS system, I used the "install codecs" function to install the codecs that shortcut offered.

I reset my camera to shoot in .mp4, but I want to retrieve the few videos in AVCHD.

I know I am probably missing something obvious.

What should I do to be able to see the .mp4 files on my SD card?

Last edited by gurdonark (2017-05-28 00:00)

#2 2017-05-27 23:55

JimW

Re: Solved: Difficulty detecting avchd files on SD card

I have never worked with AVCHD, but I would think that the files should still show up if they are on the SD card. I have never had any problems with AVI or MP4 files, some of which took most of the SD card! smile So I can't see it being due to the size of the AVCHD file. Even if Q4OS does not recognize the format it should still list the file. You may try taking it to Wal-Mart photo kiosk or some place with an SD card reader and ensure the files are there.

Board footer