You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-27 20:35

cjoliprsf

Starting Konqueror from terminal

I've noticed that when starting Konqueror from a terminal it starts by default in the internet browser profile.
Is there a way to make it start by default in the file manager profile?
I looked at the configuration, but couldn't find how to change this.
Claude

#2 2017-04-27 20:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Starting Konqueror from terminal

List available profiles:
$ konqueror --profiles

Start in file manager mode:
$ konqueror --profile filemanagement

#3 2017-04-27 21:52

cjoliprsf

q4osteam wrote:

List available profiles:
$ konqueror --profiles

Start in file manager mode:
$ konqueror --profile filemanagement

Yes I had seen this, but it doesn't change the default.
If I do again konqueror without parameters, it will start in web browser mode.

I want to change the default. There has to be a conf file somewhere that specifies the default profile.
Thanks,
Claude

#4 2017-04-27 22:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

cjoliprsf wrote:

I want to change the default. There has to be a conf file somewhere that specifies the default profile.

As far as we know such option is not available. You could define bash alias, or create custom script in '/usr/local/bin', so it will be preferred to 'konqueror' executable from '/opt/trinity/bin'.

#5 2017-04-28 22:50

phil

Hi.
Maybe I misunderstand, but this does the trick from a terminal;
kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

I used similar to add a few custom launchers to my Q4OS menu, so that the file-manager would open at specific folders.  For example;
kfmclient openProfile filemanagement file:///home/pip/Downloads
...wherein "pip" is a user.

I figured that out by typing "kfmclient --help" in a terminal window.
Good luck.

#6 2017-04-29 03:23

cjoliprsf

phil wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand, but this does the trick from a terminal;
kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

Yes, this does open Konqueror in file manager mode and seems to be equivalent to the command suggested by q4osteam which was "konqueror --profile filemanagement", but doesn't change the default profile, which remains set in web browsing mode - i.e. when you type "konqueror" without parameters, it always shows up as web browser.

Either case it makes it a bit long to type when in a terminal - actually you'll want to do this with a sudo when some work has to be done with administrator rights - i.e "sudo kfmclient openProfile filemanagement" is starting to be a long command to type, with risk of typing error...

I did find a shorter way, which is to type "konqueror ." The dot acts as an URL for the current folder, and it then opens in the appropriate profile for file management.
Claude

#7 2017-04-29 03:49

cjoliprsf

Well, now I am in big trouble...
It was working fine, but now the file management profile has disappeared and if I open the My computer icon, it opens in web browsing mode! Even the commands "konqueror --profile filemanagement" and "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement" open it in web browsing...
I guess I played a bit too much with the settings...
Any way to retrieve the filemanagement profile?
Can I uninstall konqueror and reinstall it?
Thanks, Claude, frustrated...

P.S. I do think this is quite shitty. Why on earth try to do everything with the same program - a file browser is a file browser, and a web browser is another thing, no reason to combine in the same (too complex) program and cause problems to people!
We have a saying in French: "Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué?" which would translate as "Why make things simple when you can make them complicated?"

Last edited by cjoliprsf (2017-04-29 04:56)

#8 2017-04-29 05:15

cjoliprsf

cjoliprsf wrote:

Well, now I am in big trouble...
It was working fine, but now the file management profile has disappeared and if I open the My computer icon, it opens in web browsing mode! Even the commands "konqueror --profile filemanagement" and "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement" open it in web browsing...

OK I solved it by opening the configuration center, and saving that profile as "filemanagement"... A bit ackward, but it works because the "ctrl_panel" profile has the same appearance and functions.
Claude

#9 2017-04-29 08:42

Dai_trying

Just a note for anyone wanting to set konqueror this way, I had issues using a script to start konqueror so thought it best to advise anyone not to do it that way, I'm not sure exactly what the problem was but I had to reboot an unresponsive system to be able to use it again.

I would advise anyone to do it the simplest way and use a bash alias, simply open your favourite editor (I use nano) and add this line to the botton of your ~/.bashrc file i.e.

nano ~/.bashrc

and scroll to the end of the file and place this line there

alias konqueror="konqueror --profile filemanagement"

then simply press ctrl-x then y then enter. With that done simply close your terminal window (or re-source .bashrc) and open another one and your konqueror command will be open as you want it.

#10 2022-06-27 15:17

DAC324

q4osteam wrote:

List available profiles:
$ konqueror --profiles

konqueror: Unknown option 'profiles'.

Board footer