You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-26 21:28

LoneCrusader

[SOLVED] Game(s) crashing on launch, their window never appears?

I've been experimenting further with Q4OS and I ran into some issues with some games I'd like to get working. Two in particular seem to be giving me a problem (probably others are not working either but I haven't checked them all yet).

First I installed the complete TDE Games package and they seem to be OK. However I'm not partial to the "Knights" Chess game (it apparently can't be maximized to run full-screen). I'm accustomed to using "glchess" as packaged with OpenSUSE 11 and which runs fine on KDE3 (at least the version that was included back then does). So I used Synaptic to find "glchess" and install it, but when I try to launch it a window never appears. I assumed at this point that since "glchess" is part of the GNOME Games package that it might be missing some dependency or another so I installed the full Gnome Games package but it didn't fix the problem. The same thing happens (no window) when I try to install and run "XGalaga" which would seem to be completely unrelated to GNOME.

Any ideas?

Also, since I'm here and mentioned the TDE version of Knights, has anyone tried to use this KDE4 port of Knights with TDE?

Last edited by LoneCrusader (2017-05-04 05:59)

#2 2017-04-27 11:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Game(s) crashing on launch, their window never appears?

We will check the issue and post some more info a bit later.

#3 2017-05-01 20:14

LoneCrusader

q4osteam wrote:

We will check the issue and post some more info a bit later.

Thanks, any new info yet?

Another question that may be related - can I install the current full "trinity-desktop" package without breaking anything or overwriting any custom Q4OS setting in the current setup? Maybe there's something in the full package that is needed and wasn't included in the base setup..?

#4 2017-05-01 20:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

LoneCrusader wrote:

Thanks, any new info yet?

Not yet, please wait a moment.

LoneCrusader wrote:

... can I install the current full "trinity-desktop" package without breaking anything or overwriting any custom Q4OS setting in the current setup?

There is no 'trinity-desktop' package in Q4OS Orion repositories, maybe you have meant another package ?

#5 2017-05-02 06:55

bin

WRT the glchess game, I'm not sure what the actual command is if you open Konsole and type 'glchess' or possibly 'gnome-chess' it should tell you what's not working/missing.

Installing the full desktop profile is unlikely to make any difference as it is just more software. What does strike me is that it is shown as a 3D chess game. It may well be that there is an issue with the graphics driver/card combo being used on your machine.

It may be worth installing inxi  'sudo apt-get install inxi' and then running 'inxi -F'

The output for that may help confirm your graphics setup.

#6 2017-05-02 09:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

LoneCrusader wrote:

So I used Synaptic to find "glchess" and install it, but when I try to launch it a window never appears. ... The same thing happens (no window) when I try to install and run "XGalaga" which would seem to be completely unrelated to GNOME.

We are not able to reproduce this issue on fresh 64bit Q4OS machine in virtualbox. We have installed glchess and xgalaga packages from repositories, both launch and work fine. Please try to run following commands in terminal and post output here to analyze:
$ gnome-chess
$ xgalaga

We would recommend you to install and parse inxi output as well, as suggested above.

#7 2017-05-03 03:01

LoneCrusader

After further experimentation this issue only appears when running as the root user. I am able to launch both games without problems when running as a limited user. When running as root, both commands produce "command not found". Strange...

Any way I can correct this? (I'm aware of and accept the risks involved when running as root. Please don't act as if I'm ignorant or committing some kind of sin by doing so. I don't expect that kind of attitude here smile but I've encountered it in other places before.)

#8 2017-05-03 09:00

Dai_trying

If you want to run this as root you will need to type the full path to the program, ie /usr/bin/xgalaga . This is because root has a different $PATH variable set although it can be changed if you wanted by setting it in /root/.bashrc or /etc/profile but this could also cause other issues with programs that should NOT be run as root, so best advise is to use full path in command.

But obviously the choice is yours (and so are the consequences) smile

#9 2017-05-04 05:59

LoneCrusader

That seems to have cleared up all of the issues. Thanks again! smile

#10 2017-05-04 06:32

Dai_trying

You are welcome smile

Board footer