You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-29 13:33

FlexQ4

Mistakable Highlighting of graphical/visual elements

Hi again,

here comes something that really bemuses me a lot:
It deals with highlited elements in windows which haven't the focus at all (similar to what i observed earlier in konqueror, where tree nodes may be highlighted which are not selected).

Please take a look at Att_1 below: What would you expect to be deleted by
pressing the Del-Key? The selected text-area in KWrite?
Wrong! That single keystroke would delete your entire home folder - as Att_2 shows: because konq has the focus - what one can overlook very easily.

Second example:
What would you expect to be deleted in situation of Att_3? Unfortunately not
the single highlighted entry, but the complete history of "Today" - as Att_4
explains.

The last attachment shows an example recently made under Win (XP) which shows how it should really look in my opinion.

These ,handling' issues concern Trinity/TDE, am i right?
However, they are - imo of course - the most grave glitches i observed so far in  Orion 1.8.2

Best Regards!

Last edited by FlexQ4 (2017-03-29 13:40)

Attachments:
png Att_1.png, Size: 28.93 KiB, Downloads: 606
png Att_2.png, Size: 74.86 KiB, Downloads: 586

#2 2017-03-29 13:35

FlexQ4

Re: Mistakable Highlighting of graphical/visual elements

So, where are the first four attachments gone?

Last edited by FlexQ4 (2017-03-29 13:43)

Attachments:
png Att_3.png, Size: 13.67 KiB, Downloads: 573
png Att_4.png, Size: 17.14 KiB, Downloads: 676
png Libray-Win.png, Size: 18.13 KiB, Downloads: 580

#3 2017-03-29 14:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

FlexQ4 wrote:

Please take a look at Att_1 below: What would you expect to be deleted by
pressing the Del-Key? The selected text-area in KWrite?
Wrong ...

Exactly the same effect you can achieve in WinXP's explorer and notepad windows. Anyway, you could make an enhancement request (or bugreport) to TDE developers, if you feel this as a wrong highlighting deal.

FlexQ4 wrote:

... That single keystroke would delete your entire home folder ...

No, it's not possible to delete home folder as a user has no permissions to do that. Also, when you press Del key in order to move a file or folder to the trash, you will get a confirmation box.

FlexQ4 wrote:

Second example ... These ,handling' issues concern Trinity/TDE, am i right?

No, it concerns the Firefox version used, as it doesn't use Trinity/TDE styles and libraries at all.

#4 2017-03-29 15:44

bin

Looking at Control Centre>Colours there does not seem to be a specific setting for text that is highlighted but not in the active window - there is just normal and selected.

This does allow one to mistakenly delete an item - for example the FF history - if one does not know about this little foible.

Whether it's a bug or just an un-implemented feature is up for debate.

If in doubt - select, right click, choose action - or shift+cursor to select then delete/copy/ whatever as it will have correct focus.

#5 2017-03-29 16:13

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

This does allow one to mistakenly delete an item - for example the FF history ...

FF doesn't use TDE, but GTK libraries. So its highlighting schema is independent on TDE configuration and couldn't be fixed by TDE devs. Concerning to TDE applications, it is up for debate, yes.

#6 2017-03-29 16:16

bin

Yes - I just realised what I'd said was a load of rubbish - tested on XFCE machine and it does the same trick so I think it is well beyond anything to do with Q4OS or Trinity - my apologies for rambling............

#7 2017-03-29 19:45

FlexQ4

Dear  Q4OS-Team, I am sorry and apology even more: i was wrong an you are right - Nothing more to say.

Wonder, how this could have happened, after a decade+ with XP?
I can only presume that - after just a month with Q4OS - it makes me already forget about Windows...

Only the fact itself remains, i'd say it would be slighty ,clearer' to mark selected elements/lines/objects of a window that looses the focus not further emphasized (blue in my setup) but in a more ,inactive' colour (e.g. lightgrey).
Perhaps i can tell the TDE-developers about this idea...

#8 2017-03-29 20:01

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

No need for apologies, you are welcome to post any point of view, particularly if you feel some doubts. We will be happy to discuss them in a sensible way, as it could sometimes lead to discovering even serious bugs.

#9 2017-03-29 20:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

FlexQ4 wrote:

... i'd say it would be slighty ,clearer' to mark selected elements/lines/objects of a window that looses the focus not further emphasized (blue in my setup) but in a more ,inactive' colour (e.g. lightgrey).
Perhaps i can tell the TDE-developers about this idea...

Yes, a proper way could be to report into a TDE bugtracker https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org , and mark it as an enhancement request.

Board footer