You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-24 23:01

FlexQ4

KSensors crash, Ctrl-Alt-F1 and flickering Menu/tooltips Pop-up's

Hi,

1. I observed, that ksensors crash each time i'm going to finish the kpersonalizer dialogs.

2. Using The Trinity Control Center the first time i navigated to  Peripherals -> Information -> OpenGL  and the centre hang up (didn't respond) so i had to close it. Is that normal it takes > 1 minute for checking OpenGL?

3. Trying to find a keyboard command to switch from one desktop to another, i tried Ctr-Alt-F1 what putted me in terminal-mode. Meanwhile i know how to return, but the first time there i didn't, and i shut down the pc with Ctr-Alt-Del.

After restarting the system, I've got got a mysterious behavior with context-menus popping up: with a right-click on the desktop, or on the task-panel: it pop's up twice, with a delay of ~ 0,1 seconds!

It happens also by clicking on the "Start'-Button: the menu opens twice! And hovering over it's submenus (switch user,
documents etc) produces the same effect.
Even hovering above the upper right corner of a window with the mouse: the tooltip "Close" occurs twice!
The somewhat bigger tool-tips for the icons on the desktop however open normally.

I found one page in the web where this 'effect' is discussed (also in a Debian/KDE environment):
https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/ … nder-linux

However, i do not really understand the solution given there at the end of the thread:

"remove "Button3 Click" shortcut from Other -> Show Context Menu."

Has anyone here an idea about this (annoying) phenomenon?

#2 2017-02-25 07:33

bin

Re: KSensors crash, Ctrl-Alt-F1 and flickering Menu/tooltips Pop-up's

1. ksensors - never tried this as Kpersonaliser is not normally called in Q4OS - but I do recall it from the good old days. I suspect that the various changes that kpersonaliser makes as you move through the options, and bear in mind you are switching various graphical enhancements off or on using the slider - results in the crash. Kpersonaliser normally runs at first login before you would have added ksensors so it may just be coincidence.

2. Not totally surprised - do remember that the underlying OS Debian has undergone huge changes since KDE3.5 was prime time. Without digging too much I suspect it is a result of not having HAL in a systemd based Debian Jessie.

3. WRT the desktop switching - take a look at Control Centre>Regional & Accessibilty>Keyboard Shortcuts
You'll see the default keystrokes for navigation, you can of course customise these as required.

Mouse problem interesting. Suggested solution in that thread is not likely to be relevant unless you have written a custom xorg.conf file or something has gone wrong with yours.

First step, please attach the file .xsession-errors which is a hidden file in the root of your home folder. You'll need to enable hidden files in Konq - View>Show Hidden Files.

It sounds like there is a corrupted session file or tdesycoca arising from a hard switch off The .xsession-errors should start us off in the right direction.

The key strokes for the different terminal windows Control-Alt-F1 to Control-Alt-F7 will take you to different independent terminal sessions. The normal desktop resides on Ctrl-Alt-F7. If your desktop session gets really jammed up then Ctrl-Alt-F2, login with your usual login and password. Then sudo reboot, enter your password and away you go. 'sudo shutdown -h 0' (zero) will shut down.

#3 2017-02-25 08:02

bin

A bit more digging on the OpenGL information hang shows an error on my machine:-

.xsession-errors
trying to create local folder /etc/trinity/tdehw: Permission denied

So this looks like a bug.

First time I was able to terminate the Control Centre session, next time Xlocked up and had to reboot via terminal.

#4 2017-02-25 08:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

TDE kpersonalizer has been removed from Q4OS. We don't recommend to use kpersonalizer at all.

FlexQ4 wrote:

2. Using The Trinity Control Center the first time i navigated to  Peripherals -> Information -> OpenGL  and the centre hang up (didn't respond)

bin wrote:

...So this looks like a bug.

Yes, it's known TDE bug already reported here https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2697

Thanks bin for the help

FlexQ4 wrote:

After restarting the system, I've got got a mysterious behavior with context-menus popping up: with a right-click on the desktop, or on the task-panel: it pop's up twice, with a delay of ~ 0,1 seconds!

It happens also by clicking on the "Start'-Button: the menu opens twice! And hovering over it's submenus (switch user,
documents etc) produces the same effect.
Even hovering above the upper right corner of a window with the mouse: the tooltip "Close" occurs twice!
The somewhat bigger tool-tips for the icons on the desktop however open normally.

Looks like some misconfiguration, maybe brought by kpersonalizer. We will investigate it and try to put an info a bit later.

#5 2017-02-25 11:45

FlexQ4

Thanks bin & Q4OS-Team for your your thoughtfulness and ideas!

Ad 1 & 2: i post those effects without big thinking. Maybe they are interesting for you, maybe not. i hope that this is ok!!

q4osteam wrote:

1. Looks like some misconfiguration, maybe brought by kpersonalizer. We will investigate it and try to put an info a bit later.

Yes, definitively kpersonalizer or the Control Center - even if i didn't really change something big.

Attached is a .session-errors file (after a fresh login, having produced the "effect" 4 or 5 times)

What do you think, would this here eventually be a "hammer-"solution for the problem?
sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/default_desktop_settings.sh

Kind regards

Attachments:
txt xsession-errors.txt, Size: 6.46 KiB, Downloads: 809

#6 2017-02-25 14:46

bin

Well certainly setting your desktop to default would do no harm - but then use the Styles/Window Decorations/Window Settings etc through Control Centre to configure things.

#7 2017-03-11 02:20

FlexQ4

bin wrote:

Well certainly setting your desktop to default would do no harm - but then use the Styles/Window Decorations/Window Settings etc through Control Centre to configure things.

After two hard weeks in the lab's (where i got in touch with SUSE-Linux :-) i am happy to be back here again!
Indeed, i fixed the flicker-issue with the total reset "sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/default_desktop_settings.sh" and set up my configuration once again - this time using only the control panel, as you instructed me.

Now everything is fine again, despite one small effect:  There's an image (PNG-file) located on my desktop. In my first setup it showed me an individual Preview(icon) for it, but i do not remember how i managed that, now however it shows only the standard (image/photo) icon for that file.

Anyway, i'll try to save that new configuration with a tool which was provided by one of you good helpful guys here in the forum...

Board footer