You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-06 08:23

bin

New Scorpion test before Stretch goes live?

As Debian 9 is now frozen I am just wondering whether there will be another Scorpion release before live date?

#2 2017-02-06 08:39

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: New Scorpion test before Stretch goes live?

Yes, we are currently working hard to release a new testing version. We suppose, it could be available in a month.

#3 2017-02-06 10:10

bin

OK - thank you.

#4 2017-02-10 08:15

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

New testing release Q4OS Scorpion 2.3.1 is now available for download http://www.q4os.org/downloads2.html

Everybody is welcome to test the new version and report back, any feedback is highly appreciated.

#5 2017-02-10 09:47

bin

Thanks very much team!

#6 2017-02-10 11:05

Dai_trying

Downloading now, Thanks team. smile

#7 2017-02-10 14:37

bin

Well, so far so bad. Hardware incompatibility means that sadly I'm not going to be able to move up to Scorpion - so the question arises as to what, if any, love will Orion get once Scorpion/Debian 9 go live?

I know that Jessie will security patches for probably a yearr to 18 months, but will any updates to Trinity be applied to Orion?

#8 2017-02-10 15:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

... Hardware incompatibility ...

Would you specify the pieces of hardware in question ? There are known issues with some wireless devices, which will be solved before Scorpion becomes stable. It will also be possible to use newer kernels from the future Stretch backports repository, so there is a sizeable chance to get your hardware working.

bin wrote:

... but will any updates to Trinity be applied to Orion?

Yes, we plan to backport TDE updates to Orion, if possible.

#9 2017-02-10 16:48

Dai_trying

I just completed my first install with the new iso and my first attempt failed without notification after confirmation of hdd location screen, I then ran the installer from the command-line and everything completed without issue.
The only difference between the two (as far as configuration goes) was I wanted to install to a partition that was currently fat32 and I instructed it to be formatted to ext4, when I ran installer second time the partition was formatted as ext4 already (previous install must have reached that point at least).

Also to note, when running a live session I could not get a wireless connection, when I click on the network icon and select new connection nothing at all seems to happen. If I remember right when using the q4os network manager and selecting the network icon and hovering over new connection would give wireless ap's in range, but I got nothing displayed. I got around it by selecting edit connections and then adding new wireless connection and manually entering all the information.

#10 2017-02-10 19:10

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@bin

bin wrote:

so the question arises as to what, if any, love will Orion get once Scorpion/Debian 9 go live?

In addition to the previous question, Q4OS Orion will be officially supported till May 2020 at least.

#11 2017-02-10 19:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Dai_trying
Thanks for the valuable feedback,

Dai_trying wrote:

I just completed my first install with the new iso and my first attempt failed without notification after confirmation of hdd location screen...

We have also noticed some problems related to the live-installer, it will need amount of debugging still.

Dai_trying wrote:

Also to note, when running a live session I could not get a wireless connection, when I click on the network icon and select new connection nothing at all seems to happen.

Does the target installation work fine, did you notice network manager fail within the live media environment only ?

#12 2017-02-10 20:04

Dai_trying

q4osteam wrote:

We have also noticed some problems related to the live-installer, it will need amount of debugging still.

If it will help I can do a fresh install and send you a debug report.

q4osteam wrote:

Does the target installation work fine, did you notice network manager fail within the live media environment only ?

I had to manually enter details again after installation but after installing language pack and a couple of updates I rebooted and all seemed to be working as expected.

I will do a fresh install later tonight and if there is anything you would like me to test/check please let me know and I will gather as much info as I can for you. Also I recall some time back you gave me a command to gather the installation report, I cannot remember what the command was but if it is anything more than just piping the command-line output to a text file could you remind me?

#13 2017-02-10 20:26

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Please generate an installation log, see below.

Dai_trying wrote:

I cannot remember what the command was but if it is anything more than just piping the command-line output to a text file could you remind me?

$ ( sudo live-installer 2>&1 ) | tee liveinst.log

After a fresh install do not enter wireless details, but quit the network manager applet and run it from terminal:
$ ( tdenetworkmanager --nofork 2>&1 ) | tee tdenet.log
After a while quit it again to save the logfile.

Also, it would be helpful to generate a system debug info:
$ reportq4

Please report what happens and if the network manager recognize your wireless device. Send all logs to support@q4os.org

Thank you.

#14 2017-02-10 23:50

Dai_trying

I have done an install on one of my desktops and everything worked flawlessly! And I have also installed the dev-pack! you guys have been busy, thank you!
I didn't run the reports on this machine as it is a few years old and I didn't anticipate any issues with it.
I will be installing to laptop as soon as Win 10 finishes damn updates!!! only booted into it to create usb stick (i still find rufus the most reliable way to create them) it's been on the "Getting Windows ready" screen for about an hour now!!

#15 2017-02-11 07:55

bin

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

... Hardware incompatibility ...

Would you specify the pieces of hardware in question ? There are known issues with some wireless devices, which will be solved before Scorpion becomes stable. It will also be possible to use newer kernels from the future Stretch backports repository, so there is a sizeable chance to get your hardware working.

bin wrote:

... but will any updates to Trinity be applied to Orion?

Yes, we plan to backport TDE updates to Orion, if possible.

I use an HP6715b laptop. There is an issue with general purpose kernels later than 4.0.1 where the machine runs very slowly with fans at 100% flat out. Machine will not respond to shutdown/reboot - screen blanks but that's as far as it gets.

The 4.9 backport kernel produces the same result

I say general purpose because I also use an Italian Jessie based distro 'Sempllce' which uses a custom Desktop kernel 4.3.something and that works absolutely fine. I have run Q4 with that kernel and firmware no problem. Once upon a time I would have looked at the kernel config to find out what settings they used to compile it - used to recompile kernel all the time with Slackware back in the early days but now....it's a nightmare.

The HP6715 is at best a cranky beast when it comes to linux - it was bad enough with Windows!!! - so I'm not really worried about it too much. Given your additional information about the longer term support for Orion to 2020 I'm quite happy to carry on as I am - either the laptop or I will have shuffled off this mortal coil by then smile smile

#16 2017-02-11 09:22

BSpinoza

The new Scorpion testing release Q4OS Scorpion 2.3.1 doesn't detect the BROADCOM wifi-cards on my both Q4OS-Machines:
- DELL VOSTO 1520
- DELL INSPIRON MINI 1012.

Q4OS never made problems!

Last edited by BSpinoza (2017-02-11 09:26)

#17 2017-02-11 10:58

bin

OK, I've dug out my old Dell 1501 and Scorpion behaves much better - just horrible keyboard!
The wifi light does come on (Broadcom) and normally I'd have to disable/enable Wifi in TDE Network Manager and all would be OK.

Not this time - have to do 'sudo modprobe -r b43' followed by sudo modprobe b43' and it all works OK.

I'll try an install and see how that goes.

#18 2017-02-11 11:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

The wifi light does come on (Broadcom) and normally I'd have to disable/enable Wifi in TDE Network Manager and all would be OK.
Not this time - have to do 'sudo modprobe -r b43' followed by sudo modprobe b43' and it all works OK.

Thanks for the valuable info. The TDE/Stretch wireless hardware subsystem will need to take a general fix.

bin wrote:

just horrible keyboard

Is the 'Numlock' switched off ? http://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#system.2

#19 2017-02-11 13:12

bin

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

Thanks for the valuable info. The TDE/Stretch wireless hardware subsystem will need to take a general fix.

bin wrote:

just horrible keyboard

Is the 'Numlock' switched off ? http://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#system.2

Just a further update on this. After install to hard drive I repeated exercise above for wifi. It worked but the icon in the system tray was for the disconnected LAN rather than connected wifi.

I ran update/upgrade and after reboot the icons behave as normal. In previous versions the non-connected LAN normally appears in the list when you go to edit connections. It is not there in Scorpion. This may be by design.

My general feeling is that the display is a bit nervous - I occasionally get odd artifacts, dots around confirmation boxes etc. Having said that it is an old ATI chip so I shouldn't be surprised.

The main killer for me is that the shutdown/reboot functions do not work properly.
On Shutdown the screen goes dark but power is still on. This happens from Trinity or from CLI 'sudo shutdown -h 0'
Reboot same issue - I have to use the power button.

I have install acpi and acpisupport but no improvement. This seems to be an issue that is live on the mailing lists, I'll try a few of their suggestions.

System:    Host: poppy Kernel: 4.9.0-1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 3 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Inspiron 1501
           Mobo: Dell model: 0UW744 BIOS: Dell v: 2.6.1 date: 08/23/2006
Battery    BAT1: charge: 32.1 Wh 96.3% condition: 33.4/53.0 Wh (63%)
CPU:       Dual core AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-50 (-MCP-) cache: 512 KB
           clock speeds: max: 1600 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@59.97hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.3
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-1-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom Limited BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
           driver: b43-pci-bridge
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:19:7d:35:e8:71
           Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:15:c5:cf:68:3f
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 90.0GB (69.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Corsair_Force_GT size: 90.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 11G used: 2.2G (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 72G used: 56G (82%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 124 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 442.1/3828.8MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

The keyboard bit is simply that this is a foul keyboard to use, heavy keys, frequently miss letters - though I do wish you'd configure Q4OS with numlock OFF as standard smile

#20 2017-02-11 13:40

Dai_trying

bin wrote:

though I do wish you'd configure Q4OS with numlock OFF as standard smile

Please no!, I hate having to turn on numlock on after i realise what I've been keying in doesn't appear in the app/terminal! Can I ask why you would prefer it to be off?

#21 2017-02-11 14:17

bin

Dai_trying wrote:
bin wrote:

though I do wish you'd configure Q4OS with numlock OFF as standard smile

Please no!, I hate having to turn on numlock on after i realise what I've been keying in doesn't appear in the app/terminal! Can I ask why you would prefer it to be off?

Laptop keys mapped as numbers, so with numlock on you type gibberish - as if I needed an excuse smile

It is only really an issue when you're installing and find the password you typed was with numlock on......

Perhaps an extra question in setup would solve it?

#22 2017-02-11 16:52

Dai_trying

I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a task to include an option in the install, but I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to set it afterwards either really, although I haven't looked into how to force it at boot time (one way or the other).

#23 2017-02-11 18:46

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

This seems to be an issue that is live on the mailing lists, I'll try a few of their suggestions.

What mailing lists, TDE or other ?

#24 2017-02-12 07:06

tlmiller76

Dai_trying wrote:

I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a task to include an option in the install, but I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to set it afterwards either really, although I haven't looked into how to force it at boot time (one way or the other).

I'd love the option, but if I had to choose off or on, I'm in the off camp firmly.  I hate it being turned on by default since my q4os machine is a laptop.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#25 2017-02-12 07:10

bin

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

This seems to be an issue that is live on the mailing lists, I'll try a few of their suggestions.

What mailing lists, TDE or other ?

Searching for some clues on the shutdown/reboot issue I am seeing with kernel 4.9.x revealed that there are some posts on the debian mailing lists from others with the same problem. Various solutions to the problem centre round different commands to shut down a machine.

None of these work on either Scorpion - which I have now dropped - or Orion with the 4.9.x bpo kernel.

Board footer