You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-01 19:54

Werner Holtfreter

Monitor Resolution wrong after Automatic Login

Hello,

in the hope, the bug report is placed properly here:

I am using 2 monitors with different resolution and have configured to expand the desktop over both.

If I activates automatic login, after reboot the monitor configuration is wrong (both monitors shows the same in parallel, one in wrong resolution).

It works all properly with password login and I can see, immediately before the login screen appears the wrong resolution. Then it switches to the correct value. Could be, the monitor settings are made in this software module.

(It exist 2 different configuration menus for the monitors and it took a long time to test many combinations before I found the real reason.)

Greetings,
Werner

Edit: Q4OS 1.8.2,  64 bit

Last edited by Werner Holtfreter (2017-02-01 20:39)

#2 2017-02-02 02:32

Dai_trying

Re: Monitor Resolution wrong after Automatic Login

Hi Werner,

Firstly I think this post would probably be better placed in the support section, but I imagine the Q4OS team would move it if that is the case.

Secondly I have a second monitor (although I am not currently using it as a dual setup) and will look into this to see if I can either figure it out, or help to debug the problem. It does seem odd though that it works when logging in with password but not with auto-login.

Also can I ask did you configure your displays using right click on desktop and then selecting Configure Desktop and then Display? or some other method?

#3 2017-02-02 08:06

bin

I think the solution to this lies in Control Panel>System Administration>Monitor & Display

Sadly I don't have 2 monitors to allow me to fiddle with this, but by the look of it there is a method of creating a profile for your monitors which will then be applied all the time.

As to why this happens, just a guess but the autologin may be bypassing a final part of the script. ~/.xsession-errors may contain some hints.

What I have noticed is that Control Panel automatically elevates permissions to allow you to modify Trinity. If you use the older kcontrol you have to enable Administrator mode to modify bits - including Monitor & Display. So, I'm just wondering if the autologin is not allowing access to the relevant config file? Just clutching at straws but it has that sort of feel.

#4 2017-02-03 00:24

Werner Holtfreter

At first: I can reproduce the bug (after cloning my productive system to be safe). And it is a fresh installation of Q4OS and some software from the repositories.

The first step in monitor configuration can only be "TrinityControllCenter --> Systemverwaltung --> Monitor&Display" with the need of password. The password window says: "Command: /opt/trinity/bin/tdecmshell 'displayconfig'", because only on this place, second tab, two monitors are to see (with wrong resolution). After manual settings, both monitors are to see also in "right click on desktop and then selecting Configure Desktop and then Display" - or in the same window in the path "TrinityControllCenter --> AngeschlosseneGeräte/Devices --> Anzeige/Display --> secondTab"

I spent a lot of hours with test of different combinations and sequences of settings, inclusive the DisplayProfiles with the HotplugRules. But the properly setting was lost after each reboot. And the last crazy, but successful try was to deactivate AutoLogin which was on for the lot of reboots.

Perhaps, the hardware does not send the correct screen resolution. I don't know. But I want to remember my first posting about display problems: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1266

The solution "No AutoLogin" is good enough for me. My posting is a bug report not a support request.

#5 2017-02-03 00:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Werner Holtfreter
Thank you for reporting, we will investigate your report and add it into our internal list. The best way to report a bug is to use our bugtracker https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/?source=navbar

Board footer